Off Road questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Da Kidd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok guys I have an 04 yukon it has 2 1/2 inch keys and 285.70.17 tires my question is I take it on the beach all the time and it does good but lately I've been wanting to do some mudding just wanted to know how good these things do in the mud

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mud driving can be a blast but getting it clean again is a PITA I like it clean hours of cleaning.

napp e roots

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tires make all the difference!!!! Im running wrangler duratrac (highly recommend these) These trucks have the ability to get through alot of things left stock. I put mine through a good amount of mud and have a shallow mud hole in my yard. it doesn't hesitate at all. Ive pulled my dads sporttrac out of the mud with ease. These truck may not may that nimble but nothing has stopped this thing

Just make sure you know the depth of the puddle or mud pit you are driving in you dont want to get the frame hung up

Chiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your glove box sticker for the code G80. I forgot where it's at in relation to row and column but it means you have a limited slip diff or a "factory locker". It makes a huge difference in the deep and slippery stuff. It causes a little understeer when you're getting really crazy so make sure you'll have room to stop or turn if you get moving along at a fast pace with obstacles around you.
Tires make the biggest difference. I have a friend with an identical 05 Z71. Both of us have leveling kits but I've got the 285/70/17 BFG all terrain and he's on a 305/50/20 Nitto Terra Grappler with aftermarket wheels. I run circles around him because his tires are too wide and don't dig in and bite. He floats on top and the tread pattern is a little inferior in my opinion. I also put mine in tow/haul to keep the RPM's up and keep it from upshifting when I don't want it to and I'm not afraid of the throttle.

Watch out for the deep ruts and buy a pressure washer unless you want to get kicked out of the car wash. I had mine on the lift last week and I was still pulling clumps out from underneath the size of a grapefruit and it's been months since I've been out mudding.

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful. Mud can cause surprising issues. These include ruined engine and electrical failures.

The risk to reward ratio is high.

middelgriff1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have red clay in my engine bay and underneath from going through Texas a year ago haha

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Where there is mud there is water. That can get in there and cause problems. Plus the clean up is a PITA.

OP
OP
Da Kidd

Da Kidd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments I haven't been yet I will let you guys know how it goes

hoss08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other tip I didn't see mentioned here, if you have never done any mudding make sure you pressure wash the wheels really really good as soon as possible. I took my old ZR2 S10 out in the mud when I was 16 and had a ton of fun, drove it home with no problems at all. The next day I jumped in it to go to school and I though I had ruined that truck. The mud will all seep down to the bottom of the inside of the wheels (NOT the tires) and harden up causing your wheels to go so far out of balance its scary. Its a lot easier to pressure wash that mud out while its still wet. Obviously clean up sucks, I usually find myself spending a good hour or more on my back just pressure washing the underside of the truck. Mud has a way of finding every possible place to hide. Don't be "that guy" that gets his truck covered in mud and drive around like that for days, for obvious reasons its just dumb and not good for your truck..