Paint - Ceramic Coating - Question??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about this for a couple years now. I've called 4 ceramic coating companies and 2 body shops to ask their thoughts about it, and have received 3 "yes, that should work but start in a small inconspicuous area first" answers.....and 3 "I don't know" answers. So I thought I would put it out here and see if someone with a more advanced comprehension of automotive paints would possibly offer some clarity? -or- better yet some opaqueness? o_O

Could a guy get a flat matte or satin-like finish by lightly wet sanding a gloss finish in a cross hatched pattern with 3000 or higher grit paper -or by- using a DA with light pressure and 5000 or higher grit paper....

-then-

thorough wash and rinse, proper dry

-then-

applying a matte finish ceramic coating to that no longer perfectly smooth and flat clearcoat??

Coveman

Reaction score
Yikes, I’d think that’d be a tremendous amount of work and cant imagine a consistent result. Is your clearcoat damaged?

Have you seen cars with the matte finish? The look great for about a second and then every fingerprint, smudge (people cant help themselves but to touch the finish, the cars at shows are roped off for this reason) and imperfection just jump out at you. I looked online at several manufactures of ceramic coating that claim you can coat a proper matte paint <but> results may not be what you’re hoping for. Also, the matte coatings put the durability at the bottom of the 1-7 year range which is no better than nu-finish.

I ceramic coated my burb and like the glossy result and protection, but the prep cleaning and claybaring these land yachts is no small feat, I cant imagine the work in hand sanding the beast to a matte finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbers03