Pioneer DD Nav

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading to one of there units for the Nav and Ipod functions, but there so many of them out there, I don't even know what to get. The AVIC -Z3 looks nice, but I'm a little concerned about the touch screen eventually going out and it's a bit pricey. The F series one's look nice as well, but I'm still not sure what is what when it comes to all of those.

I basically would like to have Nav, Ipod function and the hands-free bluetooth capability. I don't think I'll need the hard drive capabilies since I have an Ipod, but if someone has a compelling argument, I'm all ears. I'm not really locked into Pioneer's but they seem to give you the most bang for your buck.

Thoughts...recomendations?

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a to each is own deal.... I have the Pioneer AV-4000dvd I believe is the P/n and love it... All the function but Hate navs and well can got it $350 brand new

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest the new AVIC F series. Touch screen response sucks and some of the features aren't that great. The Z3 is a much better unit. As for the touchscreen becoming inoperable, I haven't seen one go out yet and I've been in the car audio biz way before touchscreen was even invented.
If you don't go with the Z3, Eclipse makes a nice unit. Kenwood is okay also.

SFBerto415

Reaction score
I agree...I recommend the Pioneer Z1/Z2/Z3. These look the same from the outside and only big difference is the updated maps w/ a bigger HDD. I think you can find the Z1 and Z2 for around $600-$800.

OP
OP
Big Tap

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any disadvantage to buying a Z1 or Z2 and upgrading it to make it a Z3? Seems like you can buy the hardware on Ebay for under $100 to turn one into a Z3. It's definitely cheaper to do it that way.

UWMlax15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the Avic-900BT. I like how it's got more of a factory look with all the same features as the Z-series. Eventually if/when I upgrade to an '05ish Denali, that's what I would do. Plus it's $1100 compared to $1800. If you don't need a DVD player in your dash, then the Avic-700 is only $850.

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest the new AVIC F series. Touch screen response sucks and some of the features aren't that great. The Z3 is a much better unit.

Funny, the only thing I praise my F700 for is the touchscreen works like a charm. I have heard people complain about theirs though, I tell them wait until your phone connects before you start touching things. It's like a PC (literally - running WindowsCE under the gui), and you have to let stuff load up first. Features are okay, voice command is a joke though. If I had to do it over again though, I'd would have gotten just a plain DVD player for the dash and picked up a new TomTom unit instead.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny, the only thing I praise my F700 for is the touchscreen works like a charm. I have heard people complain about theirs though, I tell them wait until your phone connects before you start touching things. It's like a PC (literally - running WindowsCE under the gui), and you have to let stuff load up first. Features are okay, voice command is a joke though. If I had to do it over again though, I'd would have gotten just a plain DVD player for the dash and picked up a new TomTom unit instead.

Yea, it's a hit and miss. About half the F-series I install have crappy touchscreen response and the bootup is too long even with the latest 2.0 update. I bought one for my CTS when they first came out, before I realized all the problems. Even w/o the built-in map software, I like the D3 in my truck better than the f-series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap