PO446, proper troubleshoot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88lance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 Z-71 Tahoe, 225k miles.

Driving down a lot of dusty dirt roads, this code is common for the clogged evap solenoid, so I replaced it and reset the light.

2 days later, it's back. Upon searching for what's next, I just get a ton of vids "it's this, it's that, no you have to replace this" ect ect.

One clue that may help diagnosis, is that it does not have issues filling up, so I am not sure if this means the charcoal canister is probably ok, or whether it can still be the issue. It also does not smell like gas when idling, (I heard purge valve can cause this??)

The other part that I heard gets killed by dust is the fuel tank pressure sensor on top of the tank.

Anyway, instead of throwing money into a hole until the light goes away, does anyone with more experience with this have any advice on what the next thing to check or replace should be?

Attachments

• 15250a2c-1fba-4967-9da3-3328c0dcf34b.jpg
    15250a2c-1fba-4967-9da3-3328c0dcf34b.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 2

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this website called charm.li

You can search diagnostics procedures for a given code.

Another excellent source of the theory and operation of GM EVAP systems is YT channel. Here's one of the many videos they have on this:

The other thing you need is a birectional scanner where you can manually command EVAP purge solenoid and vent solenoid while you monitor tank pressure. A smoke machine may also be required.

Nice truck BTW :)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shot gun the 3 parts with OEM and call it a day
run you about $200
aftermarket parts for the evap system typically fail in short order

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this website called charm.li

You can search diagnostics procedures for a given code.

Another excellent source of the theory and operation of GM EVAP systems is YT channel. Here's one of the many videos they have on this:

The other thing you need is a birectional scanner where you can manually command EVAP purge solenoid and vent solenoid while you monitor tank pressure. A smoke machine may also be required.

Nice truck BTW :)
Thanks, I'll check out the site!

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shot gun the 3 parts with OEM and call it a day
run you about $200
aftermarket parts for the evap system typically fail in short order
What 3 parts are you suggesting? Purge, solenoid, and pressure sensor, or canister? I think the canister is 200-something itself.
I'm leaning towards it being the pressure sensor, because of the dust, but I hope not, because that apparently means dropping the fuel tank

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The pressure sensor can be tested while diagnosing the evap system. Eric O at South Main Auto has a couple of YouTube videos where he uses a scan tool, goes through the diag, and it ends up being the fuel tank pressure sensor, but having that fail is much rarer than having a bad vent valve or purge valve, or another kind of leak.

The GoTech Wells site has quite a few vids on evap; Mike does a great job of explaining how they work.

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pressure sensor can be tested while diagnosing the evap system. Eric O at South Main Auto has a couple of YouTube videos where he uses a scan tool, goes through the diag, and it ends up being the fuel tank pressure sensor, but having that fail is much rarer than having a bad vent valve or purge valve, or another kind of leak.

The GoTech Wells site has quite a few vids on evap; Mike does a great job of explaining how they work.
I'll check it out, thanks! The purge valve would be a lot easier to replace, so hopefully that's the cause

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What 3 parts are you suggesting? Purge, solenoid, and pressure sensor, or canister? I think the canister is 200-something itself.
I'm leaning towards it being the pressure sensor, because of the dust, but I hope not, because that apparently means dropping the fuel tank
these 3 pieces and just for good measure a new gas cap, should be around $250 total, maybe a smidge more I have a business account so no tax and usually free shipping.
a diagnostic is half this cost and then usually it's just a guess anyway, the issue is hard to narrow down sometimes.
basically it's a vacuum leak.
the filter for the vent valve should be zip tied way up at the top of the gas fill tube, it's easy to just disconnect the fill tube, grab it and pull it down, zip tie the filter around it stick it back up and re-attach to the body. this keeps dirt and dust to a minimum
replacing everything is pretty easy, drop the spare tire for more room, the clips you just press forward, squeeze and then pull and they should come right off

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colemjo4