Poor MPG's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kope

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I've been lurking around here for a while now and now its time to use this forum. I bought my 97 2door Hoe in August of 09 for a dependable rig to take college, and ever since then my average MPG has just dropped. Right now im averaging 13.2 mpg, with most of my driving being back country roads and highway.
So my question is what are some things i can do to the engine to improve this?
So far i'm going to replace the plugs, cap and rotor if needed. Last tank i ran seafoam thru the fuel system. are there common items on these engines that need to be cleaned?

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Well I've got a 98 2 door 4x4. I average about 13.2 mpg myself on the highway going 45 mph. Running 93 Octane with a BB tune. On the faster parts of highway 41 its 55 mph and I go 65 mph which is my trucks sweet spot. I average 17 mpg there. But since my engine only has 20,000 miles on it I can't imagine there plugs need changing or anything. I think thats your average buddy.

Btw, post up pics n shit! Introduce yourself. Unless you already have.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking hoe! And welcome!

I average 13 in mine and its a NBS. I think that is the norm. If you stay off the gas and try and keep your RPMs low you can juice some more out of it, but thats no fun! you have an intake or anything?

OP
OP
kope

kope

Reaction score
No CAI yet, hopefully within the next few weeks i'll get the intake done and a true duel exhausts with no Cats, and some either 50 or 70 series flowmasters swept out the sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968