Possible transmission leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Megusta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m having a leak that appears to be red & it looks like transmission fluid. I checked my fluid levels & they seem to be fine. Is this something I can fix myself? IMG_7719.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Megusta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That looks look the heat shield on your spark plug boot? Are you sure it isn't red/orange coolant? Could be a heater tee ready to bite the dust.
Yeah it did cross my mind that it could be coolant. But I just assumed it could be the transmission because it’s so far back. But is the heater tee the same as t connector?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it did cross my mind that it could be coolant. But I just assumed it could be the transmission because it’s so far back. But is the heater tee the same as t connector?
Yes it is.

Are you able to run your finger along that heat shield and get a sample of the fluid? Coolant will be watery, trans fluid will be very stinky and slippery.

Can also run your hands under the heater tees and trans dipstick tube to look for any leaks as well.

OP
OP
M

Megusta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes it is.

Are you able to run your finger along that heat shield and get a sample of the fluid? Coolant will be watery, trans fluid will be very stinky and slippery.

Can also run your hands under the heater tees and trans dipstick tube to look for any leaks as well.
I managed to get a paper towel through there & it looked reddish/orange. I think it might be coolant instead of transmission fluid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrettman