Power Steering suddenly gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2001 LT Tahoe

I was backing my trailer into the garage last night, and, with the steering at full lock, heard a loud pop. Got out, made sure I didn't hit anything, and tried again. I was greeted with a very stubborn steering wheel.

Ultimately, I was able to turn around in the cul-de-sac, just required a lot of muscle to do it.

I plan to fix this myself, but I don't want to just throw parts at it. What is the best way to diagnose? My thinking is that can still steer, just without any assist. So I would assume the box is OK, and the pump is bad?

Any other troubleshooting techniques?

Thanks!

OP
OP
A

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll reply to my own post...

I went in with the assumption that it is the pump. removed the intake, fan and fan shroud to expose the front of the engine. Removed the serp belt and gave a tug on the power steering pump pulley. Came right out of the housing. Pulley shaft broke up inside the pump. I have the new pump ready to go, just need the wife to get home with the other car so I can run out and rent a pulley puller :banghead:

Hope someone else can benefit from this.

-Adam-

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying you did but alot of people do this, never hold the wheel at full lock. You'll hear the pump groan when you you do; back off a smidge. The psi increases alot when you do that and your straining the pump when you do that. Just a heads up.
Glad you found your problem.

OP
OP
A

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not saying you did but alot of people do this, never hold the wheel at full lock. You'll hear the pump groan when you you do; back off a smidge. The psi increases alot when you do that and your straining the pump when you do that. Just a heads up.
Glad you found your problem.

Thanks for the heads up. I have heard that before. That being said, I was backing my trailer into the garage (curved driveway, pushing into a tight single width garage opening. So I DID have it at full lock, and that is when it popped. Lesson learned...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1