Quick lift w/ stock 20's??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLXFXR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

Just wondering if it would look funny to do the 2.5" lift in the front and 1" in the back, yet leave the stock 20" LTZ wheels with P275/55R20 tires? I'd like to get it up a bit, but not in a rush to pay for new 285's. Anyone got pics?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Andrew

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will look just fine as long as you leave the running boards on. If you take the boards off it'll look goofy.

I would also suggest trimming the front air dam if you take off the running boards.

Mine looks a little "off" without 33s after 2.5/1 CCM leveling kit, removed running boards, and trimmed air dam... 33s COMING SOON!

IMG_1775.gif

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
I think it would look fine for the time being until you can get bigger rubber.

Hurlz07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will look just fine as long as you leave the running boards on. If you take the boards off it'll look goofy.

I would also suggest trimming the front air dam if you take off the running boards.

Mine looks a little "off" without 33s after 2.5/1 CCM leveling kit, removed running boards, and trimmed air dam... 33s COMING SOON!

IMG_1775.gif

How did you go about trimming the front air dam? I took mine off and like it, but I'd be curious to see it with a trimmed air dam like yours.

turboeclips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hurlz07Tahoe...

Got any additional pics of your ride? Looks pretty clean from that small one in your sig.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you go about trimming the front air dam? I took mine off and like it, but I'd be curious to see it with a trimmed air dam like yours.
I got the idea from member InTruckDesign.

When you take off the air dam completely it looks a little unfinished and ugly with all the plastic mounting tabs sticking down from the bottom of the bumper. So the idea is to trim the air dam as much as possible but to still conceal the mounting tabs. This improves front end clearance A TON and has NOT affected gas mileage, engine operating temp, etc.

I just pulled the air dam off, took a couple measurements to make sure I would conceal the tabs, used some masking tape to make a guide, and got out the rotary cut off tool for my air compressor. After I was done with that I took an orbital sander to clean up the edges, and did a final once over by hand with some 220grit paper and a sanding block. It looks like it could have been from the factory this way....and SHOULD have been from the factory this way IMO!

Hurlz07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info 2ELO. I'm gonna try that when I have some time.

turboeclips - Here are some other pictures. I'll get some updated ones out soon once I have a chance to give it a good wash. I have removed my running boards and front air dam since these pictures:

Attachments

• Tahoe 1.jpg
    Tahoe 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 261
  • tahoe 4.jpg
    tahoe 4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 197
  • tahoe 7.jpg
    tahoe 7.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 174

Hurlz07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hurlz07Tahoe....

Did you have any rubbing issues? Have to do any trimming?

The shop that mounted my tires and did my alignment had to do some minor trimming up front (very little metal and a little more plastic). When I got home I took off the rear plastic wheel well liners and trimmed them up a bit. Now I have no rubbing with normal driving. When I have the steering wheel fully cranked and the front wheels flexed more than a few inches I get some rubbing on the hard plastic...also when I have a fully loaded truck (full of people and cargo and towing something ) I get slight rubbing in the rear...but I just ordered air lift bags for the rear to help with that. I just took my Tahoe up in the mountains on an easy jeep trail and on a very rocky beach and had no rubbing issues at all.

If I had gotten new rims with some amount of back-spacing, I don't think I would have any issues at all....but I like the look of the factory 20's that it came with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattmoore939