Rattling noise when accelerating hard with AC on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dblanchfield

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I have googled this and keep getting results that the a/c compressor on Tahoe's are noisy, is this true?

My 2004 Tahoe, in hot weather with the a/c on, makes a rattling noise coming from the engine when accelerating hard in the 1st few gears. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Cooler temperatures, there is zero rattles.

Thanks
Dan

abideejay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
20' from the surface of the sun (otherwise known a
I've got a 2001 Tahoe and an 05 Yukon. Neither A/C compressor is particularly noisy. Now, that being said, I was talking to my mechanic friend yesterday...and got on the subject of A/Cs. He was telling me that the loud rattling/noise when accelerating or high RPM's is the A/C clutch bearing trying to lock up.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As above, probably compressor. But, if you're lucky it might just a worn AC drive belt. See if there are alot of cracks in the belt, how old is the belt? A worn belt flaps alot at higher rpms, at least mine did, but I had a bunch of cracks and it was being held together by the outer layer only, the inner layers that contact the pulleys was all cracked and had pieces missing. Good luck. You can also do a search on AC compressors...I recall many threads on this subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1