Rear Crankshaft Seal...Need a few answers, thanks. Plus a TRANS SWAP.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know if this is supposed to be in technical or in general?

So tomorrow I'm changing the transmission and im going to replace the rear main seal as well. I bought a remanufactured trans from the deal for $1506 w/tax in. Plus a rear main seal and some fluid. The trans and TQ came prefilled.

I got a rear main seal from the dealer with the plastic installation sleeve. Anybody know how that sleeve works and the order of that?? Apparently this sleeve replaces the J tool...?

Also...For the rear main seal housing cover. What is this i read about alignment pins? Where are they? Are they on the block right now...and I just need to use them again? Probably worrying too much about this one.

I did not buy a rear main seal housing cover gasket. I plan to run a 3mm bead of RTV. Sound cool?

so anyways, you remove the trans, than remove Flywheel and than you can access the rear main seal cover HOUSING. Remove the housing and than remove the seal. Install a new seal, install HOUSING with RTV, INSTALL flywheel, torque to specs. BOLT ON A TRANS. T-case. Driveshafts. Vrroom vrroom. Miss anything?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! If you do respond anyways. ;)

Colossus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At GM we have a kit to align the rear cover when installing it back on the block. With out the tool you can get a little off and it will make it leak. If its not leaking now I would not change it.
If you must here's your best bet. I call it a drive way install LOL.
ONLY use ATV right at the bottom corners wear the rear cover meets the oil pan. Do not ATV the whole rear cover, GM put a o-ring style gasket for this and the atv may cause a spot to leak. Now it does not hurt to run a small bead (very small) around where the new seal will go in the rear cover. Then tap it in w a rubber mallet.
When you have your atv at the corners where the cover meets the pan and you are ready to reinstall start by setting the cover in place and running the long oil pan bolts in 1st DO NOT TIGHTEN YET. just hand tight, Then install all your other bolts hand tight. Make sure the seal looks even on all sides of the crank and start tighten the bolts a little at a time in a criss cross pattern. You may want to look up tq specs. I criss cross until snug for my liking and the tight the two long back oil pan bolts. And your done drive way style.