Rear Frame Damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Campi3ell

Reaction score
Need a little help guys and gals.

Driving home on Halloween I was rear ended. No one hurt, damage to her Accord was pretty severe. My bumper was leaning down and the trailer hitch had bent.

Took the baby to a body shop for estimate and repairs and was told replace bumper, paint rear hatch and I would be fine. Spoke with body shop today and the advisor said once they removed the bumper they noticed that my rear frame was bent and he wasn't sure what protocol was from GM on repairing that damage. He says he is "looking into it," but I may need a new frame if the damage can't be repaired.

I haven't seen much from the light research I have done so far.

Oh, and advisor says that if truck needs a new frame that the insurance company may just total it, given my truck is (almost) 10 years old.

Is this something that happens often?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

:angry94:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a GM garage? I do not seen any reason that the frame could not be fixed on a frame machine.

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
I agree with Yates.
What kind of a shop is it that they do not know what the "protocol" is for pulling a frame on a NBS? Might be worth checking with a different shop.

If it does need a frame then more than likely insurance will write it off. The labor alone is ridiculous to do this.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
2 options frame machine or chop good section from junkyard frame and have it welded on. Both are common practices

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea how the frame could be damaged that bad unless it wrecked worse than I thought.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got cliped from the back right in my 2001 YXL it had over 20K in damages. Frame, back door, axle mounting points were bent, etc. They just totaled the truck since it was only worth about 10K

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
It doesnt take much for the frame to get tweaked on these. If your truck has the trailer hitch, when they SHOULD do is throw it up on the frame machine and pull upwards on the hitch. That will bring the frame pretty close to spec, then dolly it out. Worse comes to worse, GM does have replacement frame ends (expensive as hell, like $700 per side) so they can cut and weld new pieces on.

That would worry me as they don't know what "GM protocol" is on this. Its standard practice. We do it everyday.

OP
OP
Campi3ell

Campi3ell

Reaction score
This is a GM garage? I do not seen any reason that the frame could not be fixed on a frame machine.

It's not a GM specific shop, unfortunately. It was closer of two shops that were near the house/ my job that was on approved repair list with Mercury Insurance \(._.)/

I'm limited to this shop and another one an hour away, and I can't pop over cause of work right now.

I agree with Yates.
What kind of a shop is it that they do not know what the "protocol" is for pulling a frame on a NBS? Might be worth checking with a different shop.

If it does need a frame then more than likely insurance will write it off. The labor alone is ridiculous to do this.

I didn't figure it would be a problem taking truck there cause he was working on a Durango, Charger, and a Land Cruiser from what I saw in the bay walking in.

The damage apparently was from the trailer hitch taking most of the impact, being pushed back 4 inches and down, that's where the frame bent. I'm waiting on pictures to see what he is talking about, damage wise. And I've called the other shop, just in case

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

When I got cliped from the back right in my 2001 YXL it had over 20K in damages. Frame, back door, axle mounting points were bent, etc. They just totaled the truck since it was only worth about 10K

I just installed Morimoto HIDs and a new air intake in the last 2 months. I can't lose my truck...well, as long as I can ****** those back off I'll be fine.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took that stuff off my YXL. Do you have the OEM stuff? If so switch it out.

OP
OP
Campi3ell

Campi3ell

Reaction score
I took that stuff off my YXL. Do you have the OEM stuff? If so switch it out.

Thankfully, yes I still do. Light assemblies and stock intake are neatly picked into corner of garage. They will fit nicely on one of these replacement Yukon I'm pricing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ela2q