Rear view Camera on 1997 Barn Door Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered a rear view camera with mirror and front camera. I am having trouble finding a good spot for the rear view camera. The Tahoe has the Barn Door type doors. There is not much room around the license plate. Where would you suggest putting the camera?

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a rear view camera with mirror and front camera. I am having trouble finding a good spot for the rear view camera. The Tahoe has the Barn Door type doors. There is not much room around the license plate. Where would you suggest putting the camera?
What type of rear camera do you have? Is the rear for backing up, or 'dash cam' ?

I mounted my rear 'dash cam' onto my glass, that opens, on the lift gate.... But I figured a way to do it so the cables are like a factory install.

OP
OP
T

TommT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The unit has on rear facing camera, and a mirror that has a front mounted camera. The mirror fits over the original mirror. It is hard wired, with one lead to the reverse tail light and power also from the cigarette lighter. It was made in China. I tow a boat with this vehicle, so would like to be able to see the trailer hitch.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The unit has on rear facing camera, and a mirror that has a front mounted camera. The mirror fits over the original mirror. It is hard wired, with one lead to the reverse tail light and power also from the cigarette lighter. It was made in China. I tow a boat with this vehicle, so would like to be able to see the trailer hitch.
Unless you tow the boat, etc., everyday, why not, do a temporary mount using Velcro?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

@OR VietVet may have some advice for you, but DON'T give him that keys to that barn door truck, or you'll never see it again.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ooooohhhhhh....barn doors......Pics of that area would help but the Velcro idea by @mountie sounds like a good idea. Maybe an under bumper mount area.....

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

By the way, 2 door or 4 door? Pics please.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have posted my 'little trick'..... run the rear cam through the rear vent 'rubber flaps', ( behind rear little speaker)...... to the exterior vent cover...... I notched a gap on the edge of the ext. cover ( so wire won't get crushed)..... then through the factory wire harness cover ( for door elec)... Mounted it on the back glass.
I didn't want anything near the bumper.... It could get bashed.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mount it on left door, doesn't open quite as often. I like velcro idea too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369