Retractable Side Step Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone having issues with their retractable side steps? Our passenger side steps on our Burban has a mind of its own. Sometimes it doesn't come down at all, then at times (very rare) it will get stuck in the down position. Aggravating!

No problems with the drivers side at all.

Guess we will bring it back to Chevy, but figured I'd ask here first.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't there settings in the DIC that allow you to control the operation of the steps to some degree? It sounds like yours are simply acting goofy, but maybe resetting the settings in the DIC would correct the issues. Probably not, but... Anyway, yeah, sounds like a job for the dealership.

I would have liked to have gotten these steps on my '09, but thought that they might be just another motorized thing to break. Hmm... Good luck!

Retrofitter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem with both sides intermittently. Mostly running board will not come out and when you close the door, you can hear the motor run to pull back in as if it were out.
Let me know if you get a fix, mine is out of manufacture warranty, I have extended warranty but don't know if it is covered.
Tom

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with both sides intermittently. Mostly running board will not come out and when you close the door, you can hear the motor run to pull back in as if it were out.
Let me know if you get a fix, mine is out of manufacture warranty, I have extended warranty but don't know if it is covered.
Tom

will do! I am going to try to get it fixed here shortly. Just time is not of the essence lately, lol.

dogger37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had both of my running boards replaced in the Denali around 60,000. I live in the northeast in PA and I found that the motor that runs the boards up and down is not a sealed unit. I think that salt and dirt gets inside of it and trashes it. Sounded like landing gears on an airplane when they went in and out! There is some kind of sensor ( like in a garage door ) that if the board feels resistance it will stop the direction its going. As the motors got weak sometimes they would come down and not go back up, and vise versa. I have the extended GMPP warr. and they replaced both motors at no charge.

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had both of my running boards replaced in the Denali around 60,000. I live in the northeast in PA and I found that the motor that runs the boards up and down is not a sealed unit. I think that salt and dirt gets inside of it and trashes it. Sounded like landing gears on an airplane when they went in and out! There is some kind of sensor ( like in a garage door ) that if the board feels resistance it will stop the direction its going. As the motors got weak sometimes they would come down and not go back up, and vise versa. I have the extended GMPP warr. and they replaced both motors at no charge.

sounds like our problem to a "T." Funny thing is, during the winter months, like now, the steps work flawlessly, lol.

But yeah, when they don't go down and u shut the door, you'll be driving for 2-3 minutes and all you hear is the motor trying to retract the board even though they are up. Very annoying!

tbully

Reaction score
Bumping an oooolllld thread. It's cold in the Detroit area this week and I can tell that my driver's side motor is going bad. (It's slow and sometimes "sticks" down..)

Anyone know a good source for a new one? Or has anyone had luck repairing an old one? (e.g. clean-out, relube, ,etc)

Thanks

k3silk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
+1 Im having the same problem and need to know the cost of a new one if not i will take them off. its such a pain in the a$$

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 Im having the same problem and need to know the cost of a new one if not i will take them off. its such a pain in the a$$

I think eBay has them for about $700-1000 each.

FatDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump...

Looking for some advice, I've got an 08 Denali and the drivers side is stuck in the down position. I can hear the motor running a cycle when you close the door but the board will not lift up.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus