roof rack delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CbChevyLt_99

Reaction score
alright guys just doing some little nik naks right now to the truck trying to get a good clean look going. i just de badged her and working on getting the glue off im curious to ask how i can delete the roof rack. i figured just take it off and fill in the holes with shorter screws?? :hands: what are yalls recommendations and photos would be cool also if u have any detailed explainations that is

WhiteHoe.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just took mine off. didnt put any screws back in or anything. doesnt look great. thinking about putting them back on until i get lowered..

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on doing a longer one from a Suburban, it'll make it easier to carry ladders on top. Either that, or I'll have someone fab up one from some 1" square tubing, make it full length - I can also add a few more crosspieces, and I could add some wire mesh to keep anything on top from scratching the roof.....

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did was just remove the rack and put in some clear silicone in the holes and then painted over the holes white to match.

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on doing a longer one from a Suburban, it'll make it easier to carry ladders on top. Either that, or I'll have someone fab up one from some 1" square tubing, make it full length - I can also add a few more crosspieces, and I could add some wire mesh to keep anything on top from scratching the roof.....

i was going to do that.. still got suburban roof rails i havent done it yet just put 4 cross rails on for now

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
I removed my roof rack, then filled the holes with stainless steel set screws and popped in a little silcone to keep things from rusting...

easy peasy!

OP
OP
CbChevyLt_99

CbChevyLt_99

Reaction score
alright see im thinking about having her painted in a few months and the guy i have body work done with said he could remove it and fill the holes in were they would crack or anything i noticed you guys said yall filled the holes with silicon and painted over them, well what happens when that silicon crack? dont it look bad?

strykerG8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
how exactly do you take the roof rack off? do you have to get into the headliner or is it just screws in the rack?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just screws down thru the top into the roof. There are 3 sets per side I believe.

bub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are 5 screws per side. i started doing this yesterday to see what i was in for but put it back together. i gotta wait til it warms up a little more. i got stainless steel set screws and then will fill the holes with silicone. then to hide the female nutserts, i'm going to put black trim molding over them to match the ones on the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52