Shimmy in the steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i noticed lately that at pretty much any speed there is a little back and forth in the steering wheel. What could it be tie rods, ball joints, pitman, idler arms how would i tell if they are going bad?

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem in my NBS. I need to check my idler arm though to see if that could be a possible problem.

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack up the front end to get the pressure off the steering system. Wiggle the tires from right to left (while facing the tires). Having a buddy helps spot the problem, but if you feel any looseness or play you need to inspect the steering system while someone else wiggles the tires for you.

Idler arm is very common on ou body style.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your braking and it vibrates/pulsates then YES your rotors are warped. There is also the chance that it could be your pads. When you first get brakes done the mechanic or YOU (if you do your own wrenching) is SUPPOSE to go for a test drive and put thru a series of light braking situation SO THE PADS MESH with withe ROTORS to make sure that there is equal wear and tear as well as braking.

If your steering wheel is moving and your wheels aren't then it is the PITMAN ARM.

3-lot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if theres only a shimmy when brakes are applied then go with rotors as the source of the problem.
if the shimmy is there at all times and progressivly gets worse with speed check your tires for seperating or cupping. when was the last time your tires were balanced?
u joints in both front and rear driveshafts will also cause this but with what your describing, id start with tires first.
front end parts will generally only affect things when hitting bumps causeing the truck to dart out or pull in odd directions.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Um, if it happens at all speeds, it could be a half shaft or a hub, too. Both are super easy to fix, though a little spendy for the parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO