Spare Tire Troubles (MUST READ)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a flat tire the other day. I ran over a nail somewhere and it was a fast slowleak if that makes sense. Tried to put my spare on thursday night. I spent over an hour trying to get the thing down. I gave up and just filled my tire with air. So yesterday I decided to spendas much time as I had to get the spare tire down. It went down about 3 inches and wouldn't come down any further. From there I read the book and it said something about the secondary latch system. The manual described how to get it down, but their method wouldn't work. I went to youtube and looked it up, and found out that you have to get up under there with a pair of channel locks and bend the latch back in. I'm going to tell you guys that it was the biggest pain in the ass ever. I am so glad that I didn't really need to get the spare down, or I would have been f#cked. I will explain my method.

1) Lower the tire down as far as it goes.
2) place jack stand under the left side of the spare tire, and jack up until it doesn't move anymore.
3) Get a pair of channel locks and a screw driver, and get up under the right side of the vehicle so you can see the lowering system.
4) Pry the plastic cover out of the way, and you should be able to see the latch hooked on the lip.
5) From here you should be able to either pry the latch out of the way with a screw driver, or use the channel locks to squeeze it out of the way.
6) Once the latch clears the lip lower the tire the rest of the way down.

This was seriously the most trouble I have ever had working on a car. All in I spent about 3 hours changing a tire... I think everyone should read this so they have some idea what to do if they can't get their spare off. I would also watch the video below for reference. Like I said before, if I wasn't in my drive way with the necessary tools, and internet available I would have been screwed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZ2LP7nfLU

Anyone else ever had this problem?

I also suggest spraying penetrating oil on the latch system before doing this!

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for posting this... I sincerely hope I don't have the problem tomorrow night!

radkon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and the video. I struggled for about an hour to get it down until I found this post. I've cleaned and greased the mechanism up and it seems to be working now.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
i have AAA...when I had a flat, i handed over the tools to the guy, sat back and watched.

Dismay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah great post, someone on the video commented that they took a hacksaw and just cut off that lip to avoid any problems on the road, but I'm sure you don't want the tire just falling off if the cable snaps while driving, then killing someone behind you.

radkon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I debated trimming the secondary latch but after it was cleaned and greased it worked as it should. Since I put new tires on last year and haven't needed the spare since I bought the truck 2 years ago the likelihood of me needing it is pretty low. Plus since I now know the "trick" to getting it down I left it as is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925