Standard Upgrades to the 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Constant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Standard Upgrades

This is not a request for info to me. I'm hoping this can be a sticky instead that the admins can do. I notice a lot of requests as I read the forums for performance advice and what to do, and "Hey this is my first post and you need to tell me what to do now!".

So with basic performance upgrades

Two types, external and internal from what I can tell

1) Bolt ons
A) Intake - upgrade your air filter or the entire air intake
B) Exhaust - headers, shorty or long depends on where you live, what you want, and how much $$ you want to spend
C) Exhaust - cat back, duel exhaust with X pipe, again, it depends on how much you want to spend, sound you're looking for and smog issues (California)
D) Heads - I consider them a bolt on correct me if I'm wrong - research before asking; there are plenty of threads

Most of all for the external type of upgrades is the tune. Everything I've read screams do a tune, even if you haven't done anything to your vehicle. A tune will wake it up. Do a tune.

2) Internals
A) Cam shaft - Pull the old one out, put a new one in. Pain in the butt the first time you do it. Go slow and methodical and you'll be okay. $150 - $300 or more depending on what you want to do. Research.

There are many more "performance" upgrades you can do, but the above are the basics and can be done by a novice if that novice is willing to be patient and read/research. Admins or those more advance then me, please add to the internals/externals. If needed/wanted, modify this post and make it a sticky!

Last edited:

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I think it is a good bit of info for some beginners! Good job! Where in the Springs are you? Im from there

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea but it's really a case by case basis. And I don't think we'll ever agree on which order to do things. Like you mention camshaft at the top of your internal list. There is a host of stuff I would do before the camshaft got touched ...

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bolt ons FIRST IMO.

COLD AIR INTAKE (K&N, Airraide, Volant etc etc),
EXHAUST (Borla, Magnaflow etc etc)(CAT BACK) first. Get your engine to inhale and exhale better is the first thing you should do. Then have it tuned (HP Tuners/BlackBear) because the tune will have a better effect if your engine can inhale/exhale better.

If you want more, go with HEADERS. Long Tube preferably, from what ive heard shorties dont yield enough to make it worth while. An underdrive pulley is a good time while youre swapping out headers.

If you want more, a TORQUE CONVERTER is a great upgrade. Make sure you get a trans cooler cause a TQ increases fluid temps substantially.
I have a 3000 stall and its great. Any thing over 3k (IMO) is more than id wanna run for a street application.

More push? Look into GEARS, 3.73 is pretty standard, how bout 4.10? running tall tires, try 4.56 or 4.88 heck, even 5.11.

If you feel you want more, its time for a CAM :D
There is a TON of differenct cam specs, no 1 cam will give you everything but you will find that some compromise pretty well.

At this point, a Cam, heads and intake manifold are something you wanna make a "set" of. Cylinder heads/intake manifold work together and some are made for each other. Because of port sizes, valve sizes that rely on a certain intake manifold that work the best with a specific cylinder head. ALTHOUGH, they can be mixed and matched for your specific application.

I have listed the mods in this manner because I feel that mods are "supporting" parts to the next upgrade. For example, you can get a stock truck and go straight into a cam BUT that stock exhaust, intake and lack of a torque converter will KILL your power potential.
On the other hand, if you get an intake, exhaust first, they dont "need" anything more than a simple tune to get the most performance out of those mods.

:D i know this isnt my thread but i think I can contribute to it

Last edited:

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Constant, that's some good info to start out with. There's a lot of people who have the desire to upgrade the shit out of their vehicles but are learning as they go. Or don't know where to start at all. I agree with puckhead, its a good start for the beginner tuner. I also agree with retorq, it is a case by case basis, and we won't all agree. TXGMC, good info to add to the original post! This thread is definitely worth going over if you want to get some ideas of where to start.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

I think another thing to add is to get a clear cut idea of what you want out of your truck, and take it from there. My truck is bone stock, only because funds do not permit modifications currently, and I have to prioritize by fixing all of my problems first. But once that shit is squared away, I'm not looking to create a 1000hp beast. I know exactly what I want out of my truck and most of the steps I need to get there.

Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is very nice... It was very helpful 2 me..

XxBIGxTEXxX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice way to explain it TXGMC!!! What part of texxas are u from?

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an example of where we all want the same thing, 'performance', but we go about it in different ways. I agree, bolt on's first. But I chose a little bit of a different route. I chose to do the cheaper things first. (hehe, so my wife wouldn't notice what I'm doing).
K&N DIY Intake under $100.
Ported TB was under $150.
Efans were under $100.
Underdrive pulleys were a bit more at $140.
Then I splurged and got the BBTune at $300.
Then I upgraded the brakes to stop better.
Those cheap simple bolt ons are awesome! Day and Night difference in the performance of the truck. And it was all under a grand. And the best part? My fuel economy has gone up. I'm saving $$$ on fuel, and very soon I figure that I've saved enough fuel to pay for my upgrades! How cool is that!

Next up:
MSD Ignition
MPFI upgrade
Intake spacer

But after those are done, what's next? Exhaust? Maybe cam? Buy one of those blower kits? Haha wouldn't that be nice.

What other bolt ons are left to do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925