Starting issues 2000 Tahoe 5.3L 110,00 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a 2000 Tahoe 5.3L 110,00 with almost the same issues as in this thread:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10910&highlight=starting+problem
the only difference is at cold start is will not start sometimes....I thought at first that the battery was bad but my father-in-law said he replaced it only months before we bought it so I just nixed it...then tried the terminals and that didn't do anything....my friends think that I should check fuel delivery....which it is in need of a fuel filter but do you possibly think it could be a fpr? also one thing I am scared it may be is the ignition..... What are your thoughts... Also I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key just no dice on the first few trys lately I have been able to turn it on the first time...

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
could, turn key to the ON position 2-3 times, on-off, three times, and then see if it fires. May not be holding a prime.

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FPR would be my guess. do these trucks have a fuel line port to hook a pressure gauge to? if so, see if the pressure bleeds off after sitting a while. or take a rag and screwdriver and poke the port like you would a tire valve and see if it sprays fuel at ya. if it does, then it holds pressure fine. if not, u gots a leakdown somewhere probally in the FPR. or u could do the key cycle thing back and forth like stated above but its not nearly as fun as spraying fuel onto a motor.

BaggedDenali00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
could, turn key to the ON position 2-3 times, on-off, three times, and then see if it fires. May not be holding a prime.

i have to do this all the time on mine :( is there a check valve in the fuel pump setup?? or the regulator do this??

OP
OP
T

Tahoe00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the input I will check out what blueflamed03 said and also 2005yukonxl

Copper&Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Fuel pump. Same happened to mine and I chased the problem for along time until I bit the bullet and replaced the fuel pump. No more issues since.
Does fuel level having any bearing on if she starts or not when cold? If mine sat overnight under 1/4 tank then she wouldn't start until I added fuel. Then it got worse, 1/4 tank turned to 1/2 without starting, so I replaced the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Queen_313