steering wheel w/controls swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stormy69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey guys, i am new to the forum. just bought a 2000 yukon xl slt. already put a cai on it, picked up a jba cat back, and a diablo tuner. anyway...
i want to add the steering wheel with controls, not so much for the radio stuff but to get mileage/hour etc info on the dash. is this a doable swap? what parts do i need... and what is needed to add the trans temp guage?
tia!
James

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm almost positive there's no swc input on the non-databus controlled radios that come stock in the 00-02 models.
The trans temp gauge can be added just by swapping in an instrument cluster from 00-02 HD series trucks, Escalades, and Denalis. Simple plug-n-play direct swap.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can add the steering wheel controls from a 01-02 denali or escalde to your current steering wheel. But that will only get you the radio controls and not the DIC functions.

themodifier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can add the steering wheel controls from a 01-02 denali or escalde to your current steering wheel. But that will only get you the radio controls and not the DIC functions.

Stormy69: You have a couple options if you are wanting to add a DIC. First of all, the DIC which will work with your vehicle was only available in the 01-02 Escalade, and Denali. It was mounted in the center console. You can locate a used console which is hard to find, and usually very expensive. Or, you can locate a used DIC, and mount it in your overhead console. Here is the DIY link from another forum.
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums...ivier-infroamtion-center-install-99-02-a.html

Another option would be to use an overhead console from a Jimmy. They have a DIC as well, but it doesn't have all the features of the Escalade DIC.

The link I posted also mentions an aftermarket DIC, but I do not have any info on that.

Here is the link on the install of the radio controls.
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums...-02-steering-wheel-audio-control-install.html

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm almost positive there's no swc input on the non-databus controlled radios that come stock in the 00-02 models.
The trans temp gauge can be added just by swapping in an instrument cluster from 00-02 HD series trucks, Escalades, and Denalis. Simple plug-n-play direct swap.

is there a harness needed to make the gauge work? anything to the tranny at all? just plug in and it all work? message center as well? i may have to look into this.

themodifier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
is there a harness needed to make the gauge work? anything to the tranny at all? just plug in and it all work? message center as well? i may have to look into this.

No harness needed for the tranny gauge to work. Just plug-n-play. GM did have a harness that plugged into the DIC, but it is discontinued. The p/n is 12171873. It use to sell for $150, which is ridiculous. The link I posted earlier shows the pinout, and what type of connector is used to build your own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fireball17