Tahoe won't start the first time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

houstonz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 05 Z71 won't start the first time cranked but will start right up the second time, if I turn the key to where the pump energizes it seems to help some but not always. I read that it may be the regulator but those were on return style systems. Any ideas where to start?

delta579

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First and cheapest thing to do, change fuel filter. Anyone can get pressure, but we need pressure and FLOW. Also I'd do a VAC check. 17-20 inches and a steady needle.

kdavis61

Reaction score
My old Sub had the same problem... So, what we did was replace the fuel pum that pushes fuel through out the tubes. I am actually no to sure what this is actually called and I dont know whether it is the fuel pump or not but it does have something to do with oumping fuel througout the tubes..
Sorry for the unspeficic responce..

Hopes this helps!

OP
OP
H

houstonz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, gives me a place to start. I was hoping to not have to drop the fuel tank but sounds like what I will be doing soon.

TqMnster

Reaction score
Had this problem with my Tahoe when i first bought it. Randomly wouldn't start on the first key turn. There is a check valve that keeps the injectors primed to my understanding and this check valve sticks and let's the fuel pressure bleed back off after the fuel pump tries to prime the system. Replacing the fuel pump is easy enough. Did it myself with minimal tools. Just run the tank down so it's almost empty or siphon it all out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this problem with my Tahoe when u first bought. Randomly wouldn't start on the first key turn. There is a check valve that keeps the injectors primed to my understanding and this check valve sticks and let's the fuel pressure bleed back off after the fuel pump tries to prime the system. Replacing the fuel pump is easy enough. Did it myself with minimal tools. Just run the tank down so it's almost empty or siphon it all out.

Thinking I'm going to have to do this tomorrow.

TqMnster

Reaction score
Was more of a nuisance than anything. Not sure if it would cause further issues down the road, but by replacing it, you eliminate the annoyance factor and also get the reassurance that you won't get stranded anytime soon from an old fuel pump!