Tape deck unplugged no sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danniboi

Reaction score
Hi there all. Ive been searching for quite some time now and I cant seem to find an answer, I have an 02 Suburban non bose with stock sub amp and onstar. I have already replaced the head unit but just recently I decided to do some center console mods, I tossed the tape deck and Rear Audio controls in the trash and didn't realize that I need them in order for the rear speakers to work. Most members have simply just left this plugged in and outta sight outta mind, I however no longer have this luxury and at the moment dont want to spend around 35-40 on something that is just going to serve no purpose. So does anyone know how to get the rear door speakers and back pillar speakers working with this item unplugged?

Thanks in advance.

02 Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 02 burb non bose w/ onstar and my rear speakers work with the tape deck unplugged and onstar unplugged. The only thing i havent unplugged is the rear audio controls. I was wanting to but there is no stock cubby that would go in place and since it my interfere with the rear audio im going to hold off on it.

Last edited:

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you wire in an amp you won't have to worry about that. I have all my stuff unpluged and have an amp. No problems.

OP
OP
danniboi

danniboi

Reaction score
I want that to be the last resort since I'm not looking to add 2 amps, I just want one for the sub and have the mids & highs run off the stock amp but thanks all anyways for your suggestions.

02 Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want that to be the last resort since I'm not looking to add 2 amps, I just want one for the sub and have the mids & highs run off the stock amp but thanks all anyways for your suggestions.

Hey since you have an 02 chevy your in luck to do this mod if you want. I just Bypassed my Factory Amp/Crossover in my burb for 20 bucks, which basically makes the factory amp still power the sub and rear tweeters but now your headunit will power your front and rear speakers. This makes a difference because the factory amp cuts out the lower frequencies and what your doing is eliminating that. You will be surprised at the difference it makes!

Linky for Detailed Instructions

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typical install would be to add a jumper wire from the new headunit remote turn on to the pink wire in the factory harness.

OP
OP
danniboi

danniboi

Reaction score
Ok so since you've unplugged your tape deck and still have sound coming out of all speakers then I'm guessing that its the rear audio controls that I've unplugged that caused me this issue. Anyone got any input?

02 Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so since you've unplugged your tape deck and still have sound coming out of all speakers then I'm guessing that its the rear audio controls that I've unplugged that caused me this issue. Anyone got any input?

That would be my guess, try plugging it back in again. The only thing is i dont think it would affect it because the buttons shouldn't work with headunit anymore rendering it useless. I would like find a cubby that fits there though if it ends up not being the cause of losing rear audio.

edit: I found a part number for the rear audio controls but am not sure it will work. Anyone know?
BOX - 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (15189381)

Last edited:
OP
OP
danniboi

danniboi

Reaction score
I would try plugging it in if I still had it but I tossed it in the trash along with the tape deck, Oh well! I'm sure I can find a car being pieced out on craigslist hopefully for 25 or less, ebay has em for around 40-50. Not willing to shell that out just to see if that's the problem. Hey 02 Burb, hows the 91 tune you did on yours. Which option did you go for. I saw another member do the 89 octane for better fuel economy and then they added a sport mode with the tow/haul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968