That little motor overhead,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right over the driver's seat, I guess it's for the A/C Temp sensor, is getting louder and louder, especially when it's colder.

How hard is it to replace that thing, and where can I get one?
Do I have to drop the entire headliner to get to it?

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
I have no idea on how to replace it, but mine was making the same noise a couple months ago. I didn't do anything to it, it just stopped making noise. Not sure if it burned out or fixed it self. haha..
Oh... btw, I never used that feature on my heater/ac controls... So I'm fine with out it.

ThierryC78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem, that little thing is making a lot of noise. It's a little electric engine ? I wasn't sure. Maybe we can spray some WD40 in there

OP
OP
Mr45

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea on how to replace it, but mine was making the same noise a couple months ago. I didn't do anything to it, it just stopped making noise. Not sure if it burned out or fixed it self. haha..
Oh... btw, I never used that feature on my heater/ac controls... So I'm fine with out it.

What do you mean, you never used that feature?

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean, you never used that feature?

Probably just means that he doesn't use the "auto" at all and just sets the temp and fan manually. I think that little fan only matters when the HVAC is set to "auto".

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG! between that noise above my head and the constant knock knock knock of the HVAC door tapping. I go crazy while driving at night with the radio off..

Anyone elses AC speaker above the head get louder as you come to a stop?

OP
OP
Mr45

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OMG! between that noise above my head and the constant knock knock knock of the HVAC door tapping. I go crazy while driving at night with the radio off..

Anyone elses AC speaker above the head get louder as you come to a stop?

AC Speaker....nice way to put it, but you, the pitch changes as I hit the brakes or stop.

Probably just means that he doesn't use the "auto" at all and just sets the temp and fan manually. I think that little fan only matters when the HVAC is set to "auto".

Never thought of that, but I wonder if it stops if I go to manual.

Don't get me wrong, the A/C works great in auto.

ThierryC78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pulled the plastic cover to see if anything could be done about that fan. It is index a small plastic fan set in a huge casing. The fan blades were filthy so I cleaned them as good as I could and I sprayed WD40 to try to lube up the engine.
I noticed that the noise comes from the casing vibrating against the liner. The casing is way too big to allow removal without taking off the headliner.
I noticed my fan turns on as soon as the car has power, the speed varies but I couldn't see why.

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after you cleaned/lubed it, did the noise go lessen any? Mine only seems to be overly obnoxious when its cold in the morning, stays noisey while im backing up outta my driveway and goes away when i shift into drive. Dont kno why, i'd like to say because the little motor warms up enough by then but couldnt really say

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's another thread on this topic somewhere on this site but you can remove that hvac fan motor pretty easily. Pop the cover off the fan first. Next, take the trim off from around the sunroof and pull the headliner down a bit. There are some plastic-like velcro strips holding it up so you have to pull a bit hard. Now you can unclip the electrical connector. You can then slide the whole housing out. I then unsnapped the case around the fan and cleaned everything up and put some red grease on the shaft of the fan. Put everything back together and you can't even tell its there.

Edit*

Here is the other thread on this subject http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15695&highlight=little+speaker

Last edited: