The Tale of Oil Consumption and the Dealership- An Inquisitive Post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willcla

Reaction score
Well we finally finished the oil consumption test on the wifes 09 Yukon.

Verdict: We need to put in an oil deflector and clean the engine (shocking)

We have to return in 2000 miles and if oil is still being consumed then its time for new pistons and piston rings ( I think that is what the nice lady said) . I am sure that the problem will not be solved.

The vehicle HAD, a Blackbear Tune (eliminated AFM). I say HAD because the Master Cylinder developed a leak and was leaking brake fluid into the Brake Booster and subsequently causing the Check Engine light to come on. Took it to the shop. They replaced the leaking Master Cylinder.

Naturally I did not tell the mechanic that the vehicle had been tuned for the aftermarket Air Raid Jr and as a result he reset the tune because according to him "It was way out of spec", as it should be because the factory tune is garbage compared to Justin's. (I don't blame him, I blame myself for not saying anything)

Also, in the 9 months that we had the tune, the most oil ever consumed was 3/4 quart in 2000 miles. After the tune was removed, oil consumption doubled to 1.5Q every 2000 miles. So deleting AFM works.

I plan on purchasing an Autocal and having the tune reinstalled.

I have several questions:

I am betting that the oil consumption problem will not be solved and they will have to move on to step 2 (Pistons and Piston rings, I believe, it may just be piston rings I'm not sure, I will check with the dealership and see).

1) Would it be worth upgrading to better/performance pistons (I have no experience with internal mods to engines)?

2) Would a new tune be needed for the new pistons?

3) Does anyone have an opinion on the best course of action?

I await your responses.

Also, everything is being covered under warranty, hasn't cost a penny out of pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnk71