Thorough Inspection For the Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freemanke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had my local mechanic do a thorough inspection. Spent nearly three hours goin over stuff. At 135k miles this is the verdict: sheared exhaust manifold bolt, shot drivers side wheel bearing, shot bearing in the front diff so that needs rebuilt. Now for the news im not sure of...all cylinders are at 160# except for cylinders 1 and 5 (145 and 150#) respecively. Should i be concerned? Is this typical? Also, he quoted nearly 2500 in labor to swap the heads. He said the motor needed to be pulled. IDK. Either way itll get fixed cause i love this truck. Just lookin for some input. Also, sent the oil after the oilchange to Blackstone Labs for a full analysis. We'll see how that goes. The drivetrain will be fixed asap but as far as the compression issue goes ill guess ill just start buyin parts that way ive got all i need if/when the time comes. I keep hearing things bout this L92 heads/LS3 intake. Any good reads on that?

Last edited:

chevync

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my local mechanic do a thorough inspection. Spent nearly three hours goin over stuff. At 135k miles this is the verdict: sheared exhaust manifold bolt, shot drivers side wheel bearing, shot bearing in the front diff so that needs rebuilt. Now for the news im not sure of...all cylinders are at 160# except for cylinders 1 and 5 (145 and 150#) respecively. Should i be concerned? Is this typical? Also, he quoted nearly 2500 in labor to swap the heads. He said the motor needed to be pulled. IDK. Either way itll get fixed cause i love this truck. Just lookin for some input. Also, sent the oil after the oilchange to Blackstone Labs for a full analysis. We'll see how that goes. The drivetrain will be fixed asap but as far as the compression issue goes ill guess ill just start buyin parts that way ive got all i need if/when the time comes. I keep hearing things bout this L92 heads/LS3 intake. Any good reads on that?

I bought the heads, gaskets and bolts, I was charged 900.00 labor.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2500 in labor to swap heads sounds excessive to me but in any case for major repairs I always try to get 3 estimates just to make sure. Even my trusted regular mechanic gets tested against other shops to make sure he doesn't suddenly overcharge me because I'm being too trusting.