Tire decision for my 2003 Z71 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 2003 suburban has 290K miles on it. The BFG K02's on it have 50,000 miles on them and are bald. It needs new tires. I use it on rough roads for steellhead fishing here in Oregon and in the snow when I don't want to drive the new Denali. I can get the new K03's for $1230 installed at Discount tire ore Costco. The issue is that the rebuilt tranny has been shifting funny for about a year now. I am slightly concerned that it could go out before I get enough value out of these new tires. If the burb dies I could try and get them off and sell them but I am not sure how I could do that?? What do you all think?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the transmission worth fixing? What will you do with the rig if it fails? Sounds like your new rig isn’t an option for some reason? As for tires you might look for a good used set. If you go with new ones Marketplace or a used tire shop may get you some money back.

OP
OP
Jocko PDX

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the transmission worth fixing? What will you do with the rig if it fails? Sounds like your new rig isn’t an option for some reason? As for tires you might look for a good used set. If you go with new ones Marketplace or a used tire shop may get you some money back.
the tranny would cost $5-6K to fix so I prob would not go that route. If it fails Ill prob donate it. The new Denali is great for some things, but I prob would not take a $92K suv down a gnarly steep rugged trail/road.. That is what the suburban is for.. Looked for used could not find any that were worth spending what they were asking.. so Ill just put new tires on and hope for the best

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised there wasn’t much on places like Marketplace or CL. If I type in my tire size or something close I get tons of hits. Sam’s club has been great for us with tires. Good priced and warranty. Hopefully one of the transmission guys will jump in and see if they can help without costing a fortune if you’re interested in that.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like Discount Tire but for that vehicle and its use I'd look for some lesser brand for a much lesser price. Any local shops around your area? In my county we have two shops that deal in Dayton, Mastercraft, and other off brands that usually price all in one - tire, mount, balance, out the door. Anything over a thousand dollars is way too much I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samzigrossi