Tire Pressure/Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning, I'm a week into ownership of 2021 Tahoe Premier with 20 inch wheels. I read a lot about how great the ride quality is on the 2021s but my impression is that it is a rather bumpy ride for daily in town driving. My limited time driving on the highway feels smooth. I'm coming from an Audi Q7 and I expect the ride to be completely different. I have test driven prior year models and was expecting ride quality improvement but haven't noticed that much difference. Just curious how others view the ride quality and on a related note what PSI folks are using.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning, I'm a week into ownership of 2021 Tahoe Premier with 20 inch wheels. I read a lot about how great the ride quality is on the 2021s but my impression is that it is a rather bumpy ride for daily in town driving. My limited time driving on the highway feels smooth. I'm coming from an Audi Q7 and I expect the ride to be completely different. I have test driven prior year models and was expecting ride quality improvement but haven't noticed that much difference. Just curious how others view the ride quality and on a related note what PSI folks are using.
The door tag in your drivers door jamb should have recommended psi for your tires.

Artem-G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Coming from 2017 Lincoln Navigator the ride quality has been a bit too soft for me on 2021 Denali’s 22” wheels — switching to sport mode seems to make it a bit firmer with no other noticeable differences. If only you didn’t need to do it every time when starting the engine...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the expected/anticipated ride quality of a '21 truck. Other folks will chime in.

Regarding tire pressure, I believe that there is broad agreement that running with the recommended tire pressure is the best practice, both for designed ride quality and for safety. I've heard of some folks tweaking tire pressures for LT tires when towing, but not for every day driving.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the expected/anticipated ride quality of a '21 truck. Other folks will chime in.

Regarding tire pressure, I believe that there is broad agreement that running with the recommended tire pressure is the best practice, both for designed ride quality and for safety. I've heard of some folks tweaking tire pressures for LT tires when towing, but not for every day driving.
Thank you all for comments on tire pressure. I am using the 35PSI from the door jam but with other vehicles i've seen folks have found better ride with the PSI tweaked up or down.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have the 21 Yukon with 20" wheels and was also surprised about the ride quality. I did expect it to ride better, but it is still ok. It does get pretty choppy and shakes going over ruff roads. My driver door can be felt moving in/out. My 2019 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 actually had a better ride. However, it was much longer.

When I was test driving the new Tahoe/Yukon's, I only drove Tahoe's. Specifically the Tahoe Premier and found it to ride much better than my Yukon. The Premier has magnetic ride control, whereas mine has premium smooth ride suspension; whatever the hell that means.

I believe coming from an Audi is likely the reason for ride quality difference.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have the 21 Yukon with 20" wheels and was also surprised about the ride quality. I did expect it to ride better, but it is still ok. It does get pretty choppy and shakes going over ruff roads. My driver door can be felt moving in/out. My 2019 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 actually had a better ride. However, it was much longer.

When I was test driving the new Tahoe/Yukon's, I only drove Tahoe's. Specifically the Tahoe Premier and found it to ride much better than my Yukon. The Premier has magnetic ride control, whereas mine has premium smooth ride suspension; whatever the hell that means.

I believe coming from an Audi is likely the reason for ride quality difference.
You are probably right. I like the vehicle and am not expecting anything similar to the Audi. My wife is driving that now so if I want the sporty ride I will drive that. I just heard so much about how great the ride was on the magnetic ride that it got me worried something was wrong with mine. Choppy and shakes is a good way to describe. I only have around 200 miles on it though so havent had any extended times driving.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are probably right. I like the vehicle and am not expecting anything similar to the Audi. My wife is driving that now so if I want the sporty ride I will drive that. I just heard so much about how great the ride was on the magnetic ride that it got me worried something was wrong with mine. Choppy and shakes is a good way to describe. I only have around 200 miles on it though so havent had any extended times driving.

Also, I had planned to buy a 2019/20 Escalade ESV. However after the first test drive I couldn't believe the horrible ride quality. It had the 22", but was the XL version. I was blown away at how bad the ride was, so comparing the previous versions of Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade with the 21; I would say the ride is much improved.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose it is all about perspective. I had previously compared q7 to prior version tahoe. At the time we didnt need Tahoe size so q7 made more sense for our needs and daily driving. I drove a 2002 Yukon XL for 8 years and loved it. I think driving the q7 in between spoiled me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samzigrossi