TPMS Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgmstr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What happened to tahoeforum.com?

Anyways, I have 07 Chevy Tahoe with TPMS problem. I just realized yesterday that my TPMS indicated that the right front tire pressure was low. I went to a gas station and put some air in it. When I check the pressure again on my DIC, I noticed that the pressure for the left front increased. I went ahead and put air on the left front and it showed that the right front pressure increased. I tested with the rear thinking that I maybe wrong about the orientation, but it proved otherwise. Rear is reading it correctly.

I thought the TPMS for the front left is for the driver's side front and the front left is for the passenger side front. I tried re-learning the tire position following the instruction in the manual where you start re-learning the tire position from front driver, front passenger, rear passenger, then rear driver. When I did this error message came on. I went ahead and started with my front passenger, front driver, rear passenger, then rear driver. Now it's back where I started.

Why is it reading it incorrectly? Does anyone have issue with this? Dealers have become stingy on warranty work these days. I just to be prepared before I take my truck to a dealership.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shouldnt be a problem with the dealer they have a scanner they hold to the tires and can fix in a few ticcs.. but i noticed when you put air in the tires it takes a few moments b4 it actually registers. and if you checc'd at home and it was low and drove to the gas station then you warmed up the tires changing the pressure.. mayb the front left was to high!!!! could be a few things drive around for bout 15-20 mins. then checc and if the numbers are off then add air...idk just a shot in the dark... let me kno how it turns out!!!

Harry Seaward

Reaction score
You can get the TPMS to re-learn the tire positions by putting the system in the learn mode and letting air out each tire. When each position is learned, the system responds by honking the horn. The procedure is in the owners manual. BUT!!....when I attempted it, I ran into problems, and eventually confounded the system so badly, that it threw a code and lit the warning light on the dash. A quick trip to the dealer and they reset all of the sensor in seconds. Lesson learned: Don't mess with the system! I now keep a written record of which sensor is where as I rotate my tires. So the "right front" is really left rear, etc. Only if I take it in for service do I have them straighten it out.

OP
OP
S

sgmstr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
shouldnt be a problem with the dealer they have a scanner they hold to the tires and can fix in a few ticcs.. but i noticed when you put air in the tires it takes a few moments b4 it actually registers. and if you checc'd at home and it was low and drove to the gas station then you warmed up the tires changing the pressure.. mayb the front left was to high!!!! could be a few things drive around for bout 15-20 mins. then checc and if the numbers are off then add air...idk just a shot in the dark... let me kno how it turns out!!!

Thanks for the info. The gas station was only .5 mile away. It was not possible that the pressure would have increased in .5 mile especially in the morning. I went on a 90 mile ride after putting air in.

Like I said, I tried re-learn the tire position. I did just like what manual said. Key in "on" position. Press "re-learn tire position". Two honks after, let air our on the front driver, hear one honk. Then to the front passenger. Then to rear passenger, and last to the rear driver side. Error message showed saying that the TPMS needs to be serviced.

I then tried with this sequence: front passenger, front driver, rear passenger, then rear driver. The error went away, but still the problem occurs.

I thought "re-learn tire position" is to simply re-registering tires. I don't know how the front left and right swapped. I didn't notice it since few days ago. I don't know when the problem started since I really didn't pay attention to the pressure much. Oh well, it would be just that the sensors are broken.

LVyukyuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just brought my Yukon into the dealer for the same exact problem. They replaced the sensor in my left front rim. All good now...

As for TF... they stopped feeding the gerbils after Richard Gere left. :Plugged:

OP
OP
S

sgmstr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just brought my Yukon into the dealer for the same exact problem. They replaced the sensor in my left front rim. All good now...

As for TF... they stopped feeding the gerbils after Richard Gere left. :Plugged:

Thanks for the info. My truck is still under warranty, but how much would it cost if you were to pay for it?