Traiding in 2021 Tahoe High Country for 2021 Escalade worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies but in the last hours one thing changed... I figured that the Tahoe is eating oil like crazy meanwhile. MPG went down, too. I didn't took it too serious but since I read again about the lifter issues I took a closer look again and yeah... I had the oil changed 6,000 miles ago and since then I've put in a quart of extra oil at least. And today I see nothing on the dipstick anymore. Ran the engine for a minute or so as it was cold. Now I'm feeling this Tahoe could even bringt trouble and is not as perfectly running as I thought lol. I'm leaning towards trading it in now as this concerns me. Average mpg went down from 17.4. to 16 in the last monts and performance wise I don't think it's going as nice as the Cadillac with the same engine that I test drove. Could be all subjective or the beginning of trouble... Can't believe the oil consumption is normal....

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the initial costs or maintenance as well? It seems that maintenance is not much more expensive than with the Tahoe. Oil change is the same e.g.
Initial costs and faster depreciation mainly. And equal Esky was 25k more than I paid and I had 90% of the bells and whistles....

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies but in the last hours one thing changed... I figured that the Tahoe is eating oil like crazy meanwhile. MPG went down, too. I didn't took it too serious but since I read again about the lifter issues I took a closer look again and yeah... I had the oil changed 6,000 miles ago and since then I've put in a quart of extra oil at least. And today I see nothing on the dipstick anymore. Ran the engine for a minute or so as it was cold. Now I'm feeling this Tahoe could even bringt trouble and is not as perfectly running as I thought lol. I'm leaning towards trading it in now as this concerns me. Average mpg went down from 17.4. to 16 in the last monts and performance wise I don't think it's going as nice as the Cadillac with the same engine that I test drove. Could be all subjective or the beginning of trouble... Can't believe the oil consumption is normal....
That is no good. I am not overly familiar with the new units all that much but this may be a higher motivator to switch units. The biggest thing would be to find one that has major issues corrected, get an extended warranty and roll on with exactly what you want?

Jetskier77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
C'mon.... you all knew he was going to do it. The drama over whether to trade or not was getting old. Every post had a new reason to support what he deep down really wanted to do. Eating oil? I doubt it. Adding a quart of oil between oil changes is not unusual on these newer engines. Personally, I would never take a 25K hit on a vehicle, but I'm sure the dealer loves the decision you just made. Being an adult sometimes means living with a choice you have made... even though it wasnt exactly what you were happy with.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C'mon.... you all knew he was going to do it. The drama over whether to trade or not was getting old. Every post had a new reason to support what he deep down really wanted to do. Eating oil? I doubt it. Adding a quart of oil between oil changes is not unusual on these newer engines. Personally, I would never take a 25K hit on a vehicle, but I'm sure the dealer loves the decision you just made. Being an adult sometimes means living with a choice you have made... even though it wasnt exactly what you were happy with.
WTF?! You gotta be kidding me!? Did you just come here to show your envy face or to troll?
Believe it or not, I was really torn as it made logically no sense to me to trade it in and take the hit. BUT the oil issue was literally the last straw, and it was obvious to me that in fact the car has a big problem. Well, at least it could have become one very soon. You're entitled to your own opinion, and you don't have to believe it but safe me from that BS based on your pure assumptions and blamings. And it's very easy to do that anonymously from your sofa, hiding behind a keyboard and a box full of nachos. Wonder if you would have had the hairy balls to tell me the same in person... unbelievable!

And btw. (in your own words) Being an adult means sometimes to accept that some people can afford some stuff other people can't...coz some are rather playing the victim than working their tails off!

Last edited:

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're about to trade in our 2021 Tahoe High Country. Car drives perfectly fine. Has just 40K miles and is in perfect condition. In and out. BUT the seats hurt as they're dang uncomfortable. We bought it for long road trips and I realized that I drive my Grand Cherokee much more often because of the very comfy seats. Altough the Tahoe is a nice truck, don't get me wrong, it never really "clicked" with us. So just having it sitting in the garage is something that bothers me as this thing was expensive (80K). If I'm selling it we will take a hit of about 25K which hurts, too. But I think if we spend so much money on a car (which we never did before) then it should be for a car that we enjoy and we're excited about to drive. That's not really the case with the Tahoe. It's OK to drive it. Nothing spectacular or exciting about it. To many people that might sound like a first world problem (and it certainly is!) but this in fact bothering us and so we're torn between 1. just keeping and driving the Tahoe or 2. suck it up and trading it in for a used Escalade Sport Platinum.

The Escalade has very nice seats. I love the comfy leather and the smell. We also like how it looks. It is definitely a very nice car. But is it worth it to take the financial loss and the risk of buying a car with possible problems (that we don't know yet)? With the Tahoe we know everything is fine except with the seats... and that sucks, too! Btw. does the Escalade has any big issues I should be aware of that are different than with the Tahoe, besides the lifter issues?

Anyways, the angel on my shoulder tells me to keep driving the Tahoe and avoiding the financial hit and the devil on the other side tells me to pull the trigger - lol!
Would you trade it in if you were in that situation and could afford it and would get a good deal on the Escalade?
Part of the decision-making process on the Escalade is if they've already had various corrections completed. For example, is the engine stop-start disabled already? Are the daytime running lights already disabled. If these updates have been done on the car it could add to the decision-making process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
titalizzi