Transmission not going into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allgee808

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I have a 07 Yukon 5.3L 2WD with about 95k miles and the transmission just went out yesterday. Suddenly out of the blue it got me stranded. Luckily it was close to home, with using low gears to get me home safely. While driving home, on acceleration, sounds like a slight grinding noise at low speed. I checked the fluid level and it looks good. Color of the fluid looks pinkish no sign of burnt smell or metal shavings. Hope someone out there can steer me in the right direction, hoping it’s minor.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I have a 07 Yukon 5.3L 2WD with about 95k miles and the transmission just went out yesterday. Suddenly out of the blue it got me stranded. Luckily it was close to home, with using low gears to get me home safely. While driving home, on acceleration, sounds like a slight grinding noise at low speed. I checked the fluid level and it looks good. Color of the fluid looks pinkish no sign of burnt smell or metal shavings. Hope someone out there can steer me in the right direction, hoping it’s minor.
Did you lose all forward movement when in "Drive" and had to put it in manual low, upshift to manual 2nd to limp it home?

If so, It's def not minor unless you can yank the unit and rebuild it yourself. If so, then you'll save quite a bit of money, some of which can be spent on choice upgrades (Sonnax sun shell, boost valve, powerpack for the 3-4 clutch, Corvette 2nd gear servo and more...

OP
OP
Allgee808

Allgee808

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you lose all forward movement when in "Drive" and had to put it in manual low, upshift to manual 2nd to limp it home?

If so, It's def not minor unless you can yank the unit and rebuild it yourself. If so, then you'll save quite a bit of money, some of which can be spent on choice upgrades (Sonnax sun shell, boost valve, powerpack for the 3-4 clutch, Corvette 2nd gear servo and more...

Thanks for quick response. Yes, there is no forward movement whatsoever and yes I used manual low to 2nd to get home. Thanks for your advice much appreciated. I guess I need to fork out some funds to get it done. Ballpark figure, how much will that cost me?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for quick response. Yes, there is no forward movement whatsoever and yes I used manual low to 2nd to get home. Thanks for your advice much appreciated. I guess I need to fork out some funds to get it done. Ballpark figure, how much will that cost me?
You're welcome...Are you going to rebuild it yourself?

If so, check out my 4L60E information thread (link is in my signature line) where I have tons of info, video instruction, links to addl resources and guidance.

I estimate that you'll have to shell out roughly the same amount of money in tooling as it would cost in just labor for a shop to go through it. So those tools would pay for themselves immediately after your first rebuild.

OP
OP
Allgee808

Allgee808

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

If so, check out my 4L60E information thread (link is in my signature line) where I have tons of info, video instruction, links to addl resources and guidance.

I estimate that you'll have to shell out roughly the same amount of money in tooling as it would cost in just labor for a shop to go through it. So those tools would pay for themselves immediately after your first rebuild.

No, I’m not handy to do so. I might have hire a mechanic to do so. I’m sure the process is immense to rebuild. Unfortunately I don’t have the time and tools to get it done. I’ll definitely check your treads to reference on though.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I’m not handy to do so. I might have hire a mechanic to do so. I’m sure the process is immense to rebuild. Unfortunately I don’t have the time and tools to get it done. I’ll definitely check your treads to reference on though.
Gotcha...Check/research shops in your area. Ask them exactly what parts they replace, what they check for defects (valve body, pump, forward drum, along with warranty options. Compare that to my list in that 4L60E info thread for reference...

I wouldn't go with any one offering less than a one-year parts/labor warranty.

OP
OP
Allgee808

Allgee808

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

No, I’m not handy to do so. I might have hire a mechanic to do so. I’m sure the process emence to rebuild and time. Unfortunately I don’t have the time and tools to get it done. I’ll definitely check your treads to reference on though.
Gotcha...Check/research shops in your area. Ask them exactly what parts they replace, what they check for defects (valve body, pump, forward drum, along with warranty options. Compare that to my list in that 4L60E info thread for reference...

I wouldn't go with any one offering less than a one-year parts/labor warranty.

Good advice. I just subscribed on your YouTube channel.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I’m not handy to do so. I might have hire a mechanic to do so. I’m sure the process emence to rebuild and time. Unfortunately I don’t have the time and tools to get it done. I’ll definitely check your treads to reference on though.

Good advice. I just subscribed on your YouTube channel.
Thanks, man...Let me know if you have any more questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24