Transmission slams into 1st

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 2020 Tahoe PPV with around 98k miles.

From a stop, if I smoothly accelerate it shifts great into 1st, no problems. After I'm in first, I can punch it and all gears will shift normally.
If I do anything but that, it slams into first gear, then the rest of the gears will shift normally. The vehicle down shifts no problem.
I drained and filled the tranny, replaced the filter and installed a new bypass valve. Not because of the hard shift, but because I don't know the service history and because I wanted to install a new updated bypass valve for temperature reasons. The issue still occurs after the service.

Is this a computer issue, or an internal tranny issue, or something else? I've searched the forums and the Internet but it seems like the issues are 1st + reverse, 1st and 2nd, or downshifting, or the 8 speed and not the 6 none of which apply to me.

I did hook up my scanner but its not kicking any codes. Seems like the next step is taking it to an independent shop, the stealership or a tranny shop.

other info:
Engine idles evenly, but the gas pedal seems overly responsive to me. Perhaps that is just the type of vehicle (PPV) I'm driving. That or it's just very different than my 09 Tahoe as it feels this 2020 has a lot more punch.
No problem with reverse.
6 Speed tranny

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ffirebird99