Used Whipple kit for $1200??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A guy in my town is selling a used Whipple supercharger kit off of his 01 Tahoe for $1200. I want it very bad, but don't know what problems to look for on it. Anybody have any idea's?? Thanks!

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would make sure it has all it's parts, ask for a receipt or something to show when he got it so you have an idea of how many miles are on it as it might need some maintenance. That's pretty cheap

B

03_Denali

Reaction score
If you are not mechanically inclined, I would stay away from the whipple. Like Bro said "With a few changes to my whipple"

1. Their fuel management sucks and has to be deleted and tuned to get it running properly.
2. They generate alot of heat.

Just my 2 cents.

Bromaguire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are not mechanically inclined, I would stay away from the whipple. Like Bro said "With a few changes to my whipple"

1. Their fuel management sucks and has to be deleted and tuned to get it running properly.
2. They generate alot of heat.

Just my 2 cents.

The kit as it comes from whipple isnt that great but theres more potential with the whipple blower than anything else for the same price.

Changing the fuel injectors and getting a new tune is no big deal at all. They generate a lot of heat yes but it just needs some sort of cooling whether its from an intercooler or adding meth. I ran my blower without either for over a year or so and I was very happy with it.

The only tweaks i've made to the whipple kit were

-Different injectors
-Custom tune (you would need this anyways if you decided to upgrade at some point)
- Added an intercooler

Other than those couple changes all I have done to the motor was add JBA shorty headers and a corsa exhaust. Theres still a bunch of bolt on I can do to get more power like a bigger throttle body, better intake manifold, port the inlet on my whipple. Those three things I would guess could gain me anywhere from 25-40whp.

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never had any issues with mine. I ran it for about a year and was heavy on the skinny pedal... Good times..

OP
OP
01yukon

01yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bromaguire. You mentioned changing your intake manifold, I thought the supercharger replaced that.

Also, will the supercharger from a 5.3 fit a 6.0??

Thanks!!

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you add a FMIC with a whipple?

I thought only way was an A2W I/C...

Just make sure the kit is complete. I paid 1,200 for mine it had 30k on it. I still need Fuel Controller, TB with the 2 Exta Injecotors and belt. basically putting it near 2k.

Not a hard install on my OBS Either...

Bromaguire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bromaguire. You mentioned changing your intake manifold, I thought the supercharger replaced that.

Also, will the supercharger from a 5.3 fit a 6.0??

Thanks!!

No the whipple blower bolts onto the side of the engine so you keep your stock intake manifold in place.

Yes it will fit a 6.0.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kit as it comes from whipple isnt that great but theres more potential with the whipple blower than anything else for the same price.

Changing the fuel injectors and getting a new tune is no big deal at all. They generate a lot of heat yes but it just needs some sort of cooling whether its from an intercooler or adding meth. I ran my blower without either for over a year or so and I was very happy with it.

The only tweaks i've made to the whipple kit were

-Different injectors
-Custom tune (you would need this anyways if you decided to upgrade at some point)
- Added an intercooler

Other than those couple changes all I have done to the motor was add JBA shorty headers and a corsa exhaust. Theres still a bunch of bolt on I can do to get more power like a bigger throttle body, better intake manifold, port the inlet on my whipple. Those three things I would guess could gain me anywhere from 25-40whp.

Hows you add an FMIC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcqkslvr

Latest posts