Where is my trailer brake relay located !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zo6_shawn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got the “service trailer brake” notice on the dash. Was told to just swap out the control unit under the dash and that didn’t work. Next was told if that didn’t work it was the relay. So I purchased the relay and can’t find a single article or picture online that will show me where it’s located. I’ve found it for the Silverado but it’s not in the remote area on the Tahoe .. any help would be appreciated. 2013 LTZ Tahoe

Attachments

• 08C915F2-5433-425C-879B-4B6F25C4616F.jpeg
    08C915F2-5433-425C-879B-4B6F25C4616F.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 8

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the “service trailer brake” notice on the dash. Was told to just swap out the control unit under the dash and that didn’t work. Next was told if that didn’t work it was the relay. So I purchased the relay and can’t find a single article or picture online that will show me where it’s located. I’ve found it for the Silverado but it’s not in the remote area on the Tahoe .. any help would be appreciated. 2013 LTZ Tahoe
Hmm, sounds familiar. Look in front of your gas tank on the bracket perpendicular to the frame. Have to loosen bolts from back side and then slide the SSR out. 4.5 or 5.5 mm if memory serves.

Who told you to shotgun this repair? When you get a message on your DIC, there are internal codes stored as to what went wrong and why. Tech-2 time.

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it is always near the FPCM (back by the spare on the pickups, on the bulkhead directly under the drivers seat location on the Yukon/Tahoes/Subs, like Swathdiver said).

OP
OP
Zo6_shawn

Zo6_shawn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmm, sounds familiar. Look in front of your gas tank on the bracket perpendicular to the frame. Have to loosen bolts from back side and then slide the SSR out. 4.5 or 5.5 mm if memory serves.

Who told you to shotgun this repair? When you get a message on your DIC, there are internal codes stored as to what went wrong and why. Tech-2 time.
I have an OBD-II , no codes during scan. I was expecting a C code but nothing.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an OBD-II , no codes during scan. I was expecting a C code but nothing.
+1 to what @swathdiver said. You need a code reader that can read all of the modules in the truck. The regular readers can only read the ECM, and will only show those codes that are required to be available via OBD2 per federal law. Everything else requires a reader that's specialized for GM vehicles. I have a Tech2, as many here do, which is the same unit the dealers use. You can buy them for less than $400 at chinacardiags.com. I also have a unit from iCarsoft that can read all of the modules but not do things like program keys, which is a great solution if you can't spring for the Tech2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jglynn83