Who has a monster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99hillbilly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I am going to the bank monday morning to see about a loan to get me a new tranny for my Tahoe. I am wanting to know who has a monster trans, and if they have had any issues with it?

OP
OP

99hillbilly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok and why is that a choice I should do? Havent had the chance to research the 4L80 yet but maybe you can give me some reasons why. And most of all will it bolt in or is it a chore to get it to work?

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you think you need a “Monster” transmission? Unless you are over 400 hp, is kind of a waste of money. You can rebuild the one you have for less money and probably end up with a more reliable setup.

If you are going to crank some big horsepower, than by all means consider the 4L80e. It is relatively easy to install. It bolts right up, but some parts need to be changed out to complete the swap. I smoked a couple of 4l60. monster tranny’s and the 4L80e was the only solution for my application.

You probably don’t need the Monster and your local tranny shop can do the upgrades to your transmission that make sense for less money. Also keep in mine, programming is part of the secret to making the trans last and perform properly……. Just my .02

I would also resist taking out a loan for a repair. Try to wait till you have the cash…….
I assume you can remove and replace it yourself to save money………:)

FilthyHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 4L80 is a very Strong piece, it is pretty much a TH400 with OD

The internals are very close. infact you can use the intermediate Drum and Sprag on a TH400

OP
OP

99hillbilly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well the loan is out of the question...credit score is holding me back, of course...

So the tahoe will be sitting for another year due to my finances.... I guess I should of waited to take the tranny out before I had the money to get it fixed....

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not fix it your self? I got my hoe for 1200 but the trany was shot. It needed a new sun shell. I went here to get my parts. I never rebuilt one before and when I called them they took the time to make sure I got what I was needing. I think after I got everything in i was somewhere around the $450 mark. There are a lot of you tube videos that will give you an idea what you will be dealing with. I found it very easy and now I do it on the side to make some extra cash ;-)

OP
OP

99hillbilly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How long did it take you to do the rebuild yourself?
What were the special tools needed to do the job yourself?
Did you buy any manuals to help you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx

Latest posts