wiring path from engine bay to cab...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hillstrubl

Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me find an easy path for this. Trying to wire an airhorn and some LEDs behind the grill, but getting a trigger/switch wire(s) into the cab is proving difficult. I tried multiple times to use the grommet on the firewall near the brake booster, but I cannot find on the other (cab) side where its actually coming in. I got 15+ inches of wire in through there and couldn't find it reaching up behind the dashboard. I think its buried behind the gauges possibly? Any advice?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me find an easy path for this. Trying to wire an airhorn and some LEDs behind the grill, but getting a trigger/switch wire(s) into the cab is proving difficult. I tried multiple times to use the grommet on the firewall near the brake booster, but I cannot find on the other (cab) side where it’s actually coming in. I got 15+ inches of wire in through there and couldn't find it reaching up behind the dashboard. I think it’s buried behind the gauges possibly? Any advice?
In my 08 I used the lower grommet under the brake booster not the upper one and even then their is two layers of the grommet and was difficult to feed wire through I think I ended up using a large flat blade screw driver to poke the hole then a coat hanger to push through to the other side so I could tie the wire onto the coat hanger from the engine bay side then pull it through on the cab side because if not it would just coil up inside the grommet and this was trying to feed 0guage wire so I’m sure some small wire would be even more tricky maybe try the coat hanger trick to get it fed through and again use the lower grommet not the upper one because the upper one will like you said feed behind the dash and is practically unreachable

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never found that auxillary grommet either..

Ended up using main harness grommet... as Trey said it's double booted.
Used a smooth stainless chopstick with silicon lube to get the wire through,
BUT still ended up poking a hole through the outer rubber boot.

It's OK, commonly done on some youtube videos, though I was hoping to keep it inside both boots.
The bend through there makes it tough to conform, but I think it can be done. I poked from the inside out. Might need to work both sides.
I would be careful with a coat hanger, you don't want a sharp edge to scrape through wire insulation..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachsglobe