Z71 Tahoe.. What can I expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pinkpalmetto80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am thinking seriously about purchasing a Z71 Tahoe, I am scared about all the things I may have to replace. I'm ok with you know tired, breaks, rotors, etc etc all the things you usually have to do to a vehicle anyways, but I've heard of people having to replace transmission and things that are a huge expense at like 100-120k miles? Can anyone weigh in and give
Me your advice about your Tahoe/ experience? Thanks!

NautiKev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
other than the AFM causing my truck to use oil(I run a much thicker oil and it uses much less now), I'm very happy with mine. Only non maintenance things I've had to do was replace one o2 sensor (I replaced all four when it happened cause I get parts free from work)

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im assuming your buying used as your already posting concerns for the 100k mark, as any USED vehicle goes its only as good as the previous owner (exempt rare cases) if the onwer treated it poorly you will soak up those repair costs, if a owner took better care of it You most likley will see better results, as for reliabilty these trucks are known to be very reliable , however im speaking of the broad band of all models and years i know my OBS has been great , and from what i read on here both NBS and NNBS models are good vehicles as well . hopefully some guys with newer trucks chime in and give you their expierences as well

OP
OP
P

pinkpalmetto80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am planning on buying 07 or newer anywhere from 40k-80k miles, I am particular. Will only buy from a private seller, 1 owner, clean carfax. I would love to have a brand new one but I had sticker shock when we looked at some haha. They are beautiful and have room for a growing family which is def what I need. I def want to make sure someone took care of it, I have babied all my vehicles bc I pay for it monthly do I should take care of it, but I guess not everyone takes pride in what they have. So overall with that amount of mileage and if I careful about who I buy it from it should run for well over 100k miles without like engine repairs etc? Thanks all who have commented.

TacHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on buying 07 or newer anywhere from 40k-80k miles, I am particular. Will only buy from a private seller, 1 owner, clean carfax. I would love to have a brand new one but I had sticker shock when we looked at some haha. They are beautiful and have room for a growing family which is def what I need. I def want to make sure someone took care of it, I have babied all my vehicles bc I pay for it monthly do I should take care of it, but I guess not everyone takes pride in what they have. So overall with that amount of mileage and if I careful about who I buy it from it should run for well over 100k miles without like engine repairs etc? Thanks all who have commented.

I was thinking the same but then I saw the NBS Z71 Tahoe's compared to NNBS which were double in price with the SAME mileage as the NBS.... TO me that means as long as you can justify the double price increase/can afford it, go for the 07+. But I wouldn't limit your search when the NBS issues have been rooted out by now, they have most of the features you're looking for in a NNBS, and finding a "good" vehicle in general should have you reverting back to the very standard practice of checking owner/service and maintenance history and simply taking it for a nice spin to see how it feels. Does it accelerate quick when you hit the gas hard? are the clunky, clicky, squeezy sounds when you make turns. Each has their respective place on the list of things expected to replace at a certain mileage and others not so much.

Havent heard of many ppl who properly checked the vehicle out having issues with the tranny going out. That goes back to finding out where it came from and who owned it. Some 17 year old kid probably tore the tranny up, or some jerk off probably never changed the fluids or never let off the pedal leading to rough hard shifts... Also to echo the Don I have a buddy who bought his OBS from a friggin 18 year old kid who tore the shit out of it, and cheap mods and lifts all over the thing... but still it drove with NO problems... his only problem in 2 years with it was a blown like 44" tire.

Good luck in your search, I would personally search for a 06/05 NBS Z71 with captains in the middle and a third row. Has e-fans, hydraboost breaks (larger), some extra HP's and TQ, Navi etc...

Key: NBS: 00-06
NNBS: 07+

Last edited:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should get a truck new enough that has the GM Certified warranty.....And old enough that it is on the "cheaper" side.

Both of my trucks in my Sig were bought with the GM Certified warranty.

I also think you are over thinking your odds of getting a bad unit overall....

I see these trucks ALL the time with high mileage on them with very little issues, and used commercially at that........

Last edited:

doubletapdrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So overall with that amount of mileage and if I careful about who I buy it from it should run for well over 100k miles without like engine repairs etc? Thanks all who have commented.

They are reliable as long as they are maintained. I had a 1992 Yukon that I bought from a customer who traded it in. He changed the oil every 3k religiously and it was mostly highway miles (I think it had like 85k on it when I bought it). I drove it for years then passed it down to my sister who isn't exactly known for taking care of vehicles. Anyway at about 265k we trade it in and it was still going strong, no major issues.

The problem with the Internet is you have a message board with a worldwide audience where people will come to complain about their problems. You don't hear from the millions/billions of people who have no problems with their rig.

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
I think you should get a truck new enough that has the GM Certified warranty.....And old enough that it is on the "cheaper" side.

Both of my trucks in my Sig were bought with the GM Certified warranty.

I also think you are over thinking your odds of getting a bad unit overall....

I see these trucks ALL the time with high mileage on them with very little issues, and used commercially at that........

I think being cautious is fine,and I dont think hes overthinking it at all.There is a ton of junk on the market and you should look for ANY problems to help you negotiate a price.Also because the trucks you see with high milage runs great does not mean that person hasnt dumped a ton of money into it.Also I think there is different wear and tear everywhere you go.Here in ny the salt does so much damage to body and suspention and brake parts.I remember having my 97 toyota 4runner and it was deemed reliable and it is, but not if you live in the rust bealt.My diffs starting rusting thru,suspention was roughat early miles,frame looked rustic,rusted brake lines....You get it :lol2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trojjan