99 Tahoe Cranks but won't start..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbensteel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The truck has had a weak start, began about 2 weeks ago. Friday night it wouldn't start at all after running it for a few hours out to eat and a few other places. Got home and loaded up the fishing gear and it wouldn't start. Cleaned the battery terminals and put them back on and it cranked up fine, no more problems. Sunday I'm riding down the highway and the truck cuts off in mid-motion doing roughly 35-40MPH, I coasted to the side of the road. Wouldn't start. Checked the terminals again, nothing. Got it towed to the house..

Here's what's been checked.

Positive Batt. terminal was busted, It was replaced.
Cap & Rotor were corroded, they were both replaced.
Fuel Pump fuse is OK!
Fuel Pump cuts on with the key.
Engine is receiving gas up front.

The engine turns and sometimes it will start, but it cuts off immediately. Will not run more than 3-5 seconds.

The starter has began making a weird noise, wasn't doing this before tonight. It sounds like the gears are stripped almost. The starter was replaced about 6 months ago. The power wire seems loose, the lug that holds it on just doesn't seem to get real tight, can't tighten it too much because it's encased in plastic. I busted the lug out of the plastic housing when it was replaced and had to take it back for another one the same day.

Any help on the matter is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just reading up on the stupid fuel injection spider. It seems that if it does not have exactly like 45 psi to it it wont fire so there would be no fuel.
Check for spark and all that but put a fuel pressure gage on it and see what type of pressure it is making. Pumps can get weak and cause the spider to not work I guess. If you have looked at everything else and it is all good then put a fuel pressure gage on it and see where it is at.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your 'security' light on when it won't start or it just turns off? It could be the pass-lock security ign module thingy.

If it's on, just let your key have sex with the ign in the on position for 10 minutes or until the light goes off, then start your truck.

Just a thought.

craz-28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, Im thinking you might have a fuel pressure problem if everything else checks out. Pretty easy to test thankfully. Also, have you had the alt tested lately?

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

Forgot to mention, check the fuel pump relay too. I've seen some strange issues with the relay before that nobody could explain and it was because of that little sucka....

OP
OP
B

bigbensteel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Battery, Alt. & Spark are all good. I've got someone coming over tonight with a gauge to check the fuel pressure, and a new fuel filter. I'll post in and update later tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to check the ignition too, like posted above.

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

bigbensteel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fuel pressure reads 29 PSI. Filter was replaced, reads the same. I'm guessing it's the fuel pump. I'd hoped I wouldn't have to shell out $220!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btskf17