Rear liftgate panel removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Takhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
During a bonehead move of backing out of the garage with the liftgate open, the applique that has the bowtie logo on broke off. I bought a new one which I had painted (without the bowtie) and now need to take off the inner panels to get at the nuts that hold the applique on. Does anyone know how this comes out? Will I need special tools?

Thanks.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bro-in-law had one of the posts that lift the tailgate break off, and a piece fell into interior panel (and was rattling around inside). We started at the lower corner and just pried up the plastic liner until the piece rolled out. To remove ALL of it, I think you have to undo a couple screws at the inside handle (but I don't remember for sure), and then just pull the plastic away from the sheet metal. It's all posts-in-holes/clips kind of stuff. Pull off, and push back together when you're done.

Again, someone who has removed the whole thing can get more specific.

OP
OP
T

Takhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep that's exactly how I took it off. Pretty easy and the new applique without the bowtie looks nice and clean.

Thanks,
Takhoe

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, where'd you get the new applique? Any pics??

c12ack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up a year and half old post but I wanted to put a rear view camera in an 07 Escalade where the factory cam would be. In the bottom center of the applique above the license plate. They got the rear liftgate panel off but The installer couldn't get the applique off. "Screws keep turning" he said. So I ended up putting the camera under the applique and they drilled a small hole into the applique to feed the wires.

Anyways, does anyone know how to get the applique completely off so I can put the camera inside? Thanks in advance.

c12ack

tool2269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up a year and half old post but I wanted to put a rear view camera in an 07 Escalade where the factory cam would be. In the bottom center of the applique above the license plate. They got the rear liftgate panel off but The installer couldn't get the applique off. "Screws keep turning" he said. So I ended up putting the camera under the applique and they drilled a small hole into the applique to feed the wires.

Anyways, does anyone know how to get the applique completely off so I can put the camera inside? Thanks in advance.

c12ack

This weekend I installed a Kenwood CMOS 2000 camera for my dnx 8120.

I ended up just using the 3m tape/screw to stick/glue the bracket onto the bottom of the applique. As the installer above found out, the screws just keep turning so I couldn't remove the applique. Then it was a PITA getting the wire fed up and through blindly.

I used the write up below to kind of get to the three screws that hold the applique on, so maybe it'll help someone.

FYI to get the windshield wiper motor off, i had to use a 10mm wrench to HOLD the nut, while using a small screwdriver to get the screw off, and since I could not completely remove the wiper motor, i just rotated it out of the way.

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...1/how-adding-back-up-camera-07-c\k-suv-22756/

the camera location is much better than where I previously had it. At first i placed it under the bumper but above the hitch. I was better concealed but I couldn't quite tell where my bumper was.

Now from under the applique, you can see the bumper when backing up.