Steering System, bit of a clunk.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Merry Christmas first of all! :)

I have not looked under the truck at all in terms of this specific problem.

I get a clunk when turning every now and then.

I am thinking it is ball joints..

It only happens when the wheel gets cranked to one side or another.

Like something is reseating itself back into place.

I would assume something it going to snap eventually and I will need a tow.

Just looking for possible issues so I can check out all of them when I get the truck off the ground.

Thanks!!

Ryan.

Mr.Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a normal problem on these models.
Mine made the same sound. It was the upper intermediate steering shaft. I replaced it with a new none greasing one, aftermarket part bought on Ebay. My local Chevrolet dealer replaced it under 30 minutes.
Btw, it is not a safety issue. Nothing will ever break. But it is kind of annoying.

Last edited:

bankswood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy one at Advance Auto for $75. Its an easy DIY. search this forum.

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the responses.

Will greasing the upper intermediate steering shaft provide a temp. fix?

Thanks again.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Whenever my steering shaft needed to be replaced, it would feel like the wheels were going to fall off when hitting bumps and turning. He said he's getting a clunk when turning. I would think it's also ball joints. If you want to check them, jack up a front tire, stick a pry bar under the tire, and pull up on the bar and see if you get any movement in the ball joints. I know people say you can just wiggle the tire, but I've always had to get under the tire and pry up on it to check them. I'd get it checked out before your tire falls off.

owner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you need to listen to taylorjm, for your own and your family's safety!
smile.gif

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think its the intermediate shaft because I am not feeling it in the steering wheel. The sound is more pronounced then the feeling. However I can feel it, but it is all over as in in my seat and in my feet.

I checked the ball joints and tie rods two weeks ago. Everythings good there.

It is a clunk or snap generally at low speed and only when turning.

I was Part Source looking on their computer program, "Shop Key."

I read about the front cross member requiring some new washers to be installed around the crossmember mounting bolts. I read that there is a noise created by the cross member slipping back and fourth on these bolts or bolt heads. This was interesting.

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this exact same problem/symptoms and had a shop check all of my suspension and steering components and found nothing wrong. They used a bar of some sort and went through everything looking for slop.

I will have to look into this cross member, as this sounds potentially like something that could be the issue. When the noise happens makes me think something is slipping in and out of place...like when a load is placed on the front from turning tightly or going over a curb into a driveway.

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi ScottL4619.

I am couple days away from getting under my truck again as my dad and I are building new shelfs and painting the garage. Everything is front and center right now. :Boo:

When we are done I am going to lift the front up and check this out.

I plan to add some washers of appropriate diameter and some anti-seize compound as well. This is the fix according to the write up I read at local parts store.

To clarify I will add these washers to the front cross-member mounting bolts. Now that I'm thinking about this Im going to first try and add washer and anti-seize compound only to the bolt head. I suppose I dont want the nut spinning off.

Last edited:

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my quick and dirty research, it does appear that the front crossmember can cause this exact issue. There also seem to be two fixes...one being to enlarge the slots in the crossmember and the other being to add a 14mm ID washer. I'm not really sure which to do, but the easier of the two (washers) sounds more attractive. It might be worth checking to make sure the bolts are tight in the first place...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065