Keys + Bilsteins Front, 2" Spacers + Extenders on OEM Nivomats Rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff d

Reaction score
I researched a bit before I did this but couldn't find much info on it other than "it should work". I tow a popup camper and a 5,500 lb boat regularly (Not at the same time) and wanted to retain the factory rear shocks. They're the self leveling ZW7 "Premium Smooth Ride" Nivomat shocks and seemed to do the job pretty well at stock height. They would sag down when the trailer was attached and then after very little driving they would "ratchet" back up to within 1" of the normal ride height. I wasn't 100% sure how these things worked and if extensions and spacers would somehow have unintended consequences on the self leveling functionality.

Anyway, I added 2" spacers in the back plus 2" shock extenders on the top and everything is working as expected just 2" taller. So, if you're considering this it does actually work.

I bought the spacers, extenders and keys for $147 shipped from a seller on eBay called "leveling.suspension" who answered a few pre-sale questions quickly and then shipped unexpectedly fast. All was of good quality and the only issue I had was that the upper sleeves in the shock bushings were a hair too wide to fit in the extenders. I had to bump each one with the grinder and everything was fine.

In the front I was a bit lopsided at stock height. 1/2" lower on the Driver's side. So, I cranked the driver's side up 3" and the passenger side up 2.5". I put the Bilsteins in at the same time and it feels like I got a slightly net positive effect on the ride. It's certainly not worse or rougher. All of the angles look fine at this height and I was happy with the ride so I opted not to push it and went ahead and got it aligned.

I retained 1" of factory rake which is what I wanted (It had a 2" rake stock). I didn't want a "cali lean" when I connected my trailers. Since the Nivomats allow an inch of sag it sits perfectly level with a trailer connected.

Then I opted to go with P285/75 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers for several reasons. Yeah, that's right they're P-Metric, not LT. 1) This is my daily driver and they're 23 lbs lighter per tire than a D load range in the same size/tire. I only gained 17 lbs per tire over stock vs. the 40 I would have gained with D or E LT tires. 2) The Load Index for the pair is 40% more than the rated capacity for my rear axle and 50+% more than the capacity of my front axle. LTs would have just been overkill on weight carying capacity 3) I've been running on P-Metrics on this vehicle and my last one with the same two trailers and was never unhappy with the performance. These are actually a 117 load index vs. the 111s that were on there 4) They were a decent amount less expensive. I paid $720 out the door, mounted and balanced.

In the end this doesn't appear to have hurt my MPG at all. It was terrible before and it's still terrible. It's down a couple 10ths on the DIC but then I get to multiply that by 1.069 since the odometer/speedometer are now 6.9% pessimistic and it appears to be about a wash after a few weeks of driving.

I also went with some different OEM wheels that I liked better. Here's a before and after.

photo.jpg after small.jpg

Last edited:

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is good to know as many have asked. I knew it was possible to keep the nivomats IF a rear shock extender was found but I couldn't find anything when I was looking. Thanks for the info!

Ps truck looks good and has a nice stance.

OP
OP
J

Jeff d

Reaction score
I just took a chance on the shock extenders. I knew the nivomats were weight bearing, unlike normal shocks, so the extenders would get beat up more. Fortunately these extenders were more heavy duty then they looked in the pictures. They seem plenty strong enough for the task and have been ok for the last few hundred miles.

I like the stance too for the moment. I think it looks exactly like it should have looked from the factory. I don't have the urge to go bigger yet.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the nivomats, I knew it would work but didnt know what end to put extenders on since my Kon didnt have the autoride option so I hope this clears up all the threads about it.

I dig those GMC wheels and the stance/lift is perfect. Looks great and can you add some fender height measurements so the people on here can get an idea of actual height.

OP
OP
J

Jeff d

Reaction score
Before w/Stock 265/70 R16s:
Front Left- 34"
Front Right- 34.5"
Both Rears- 36"

After w/Stock Tires:
Both Fronts- 37"
Both Rears- 38 1/4"ish depending on what the Nivomats decide to do on a given day.

The 285/70 R17s added another inch to those "after" measurements.

Last edited:

Anonymous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of the truck without a trailer on it and the rear shock extenders/spacers? I have a welder and access to machine tools, so I might just fabricate rear spacers and extenders. This is what I want to do to my Tahoe. Nothing big, just making it more usable off-road.

OP
OP
J

Jeff d

Reaction score
This is the only one I have on me. It looks the same, just 1" higher in the rear.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 117

Jeremikia80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
been looking everywhere for this info

i got an 05 tahoe lt2 w/ autoride, i just got new tires, Falken Rocky Mtns AT2s, 285/70R17 and they rub a little at slow left turn reverse. having 2" spacers probably doesnt help either. I want to maintain my autoride when i do lift. i just pulled the trigger on a setup just like you described from ebay from top gear suspension. keys, spacers and extenders. I really looking forward to getting them installed, but i have been so hard pressed to find anyone with a straight answer with autoride. so many guys just say get rid of it, but mine works fine so i have no desire to remove it. i will post before and after pics and share my after experience as well, thanks again.

Attachments

• 9262013 035.jpg
    9262013 035.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 53

ButtersD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
please clearify

Ok further explain if you would.
You put your 2 inch coil spacers on the bottom side of the coil?
And you put your two inch shock extension on top of the nivomats?
Did you have to do anything with the sensor rods to lenghten them?

OP
OP
J

Jeff d

Reaction score
Ok further explain if you would.
You put your 2 inch coil spacers on the bottom side of the coil?
And you put your two inch shock extension on top of the nivomats?
Did you have to do anything with the sensor rods to lenghten them?

You got everything right except there are no "sensor rods" for the Nivomat shocks. They're self contained and not electronic. If you're talking about AutoRide then yes you'd need to somehow lengthen those rods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO