04 Suburban Blend Door Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Suburban LT with the digital AC control unit. My vehicle will often start with all air blowing cold. Sometimes - not all the time - the driver's side will turn to hot. I've replaced the blend door actuator several times - from OEM to cheap. Same problem repeats itself. Would changing out the control unit help? I may change it anyway - the dials don't like to track properly (ie, turn clockwise and temp jumps between going up and down to random numbers). Has changing that ever fixed the blend door issue? Obviously the actuator isn't stuck. It's very capable of moving, just moves to different positions whenever it wants to.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a temperature sensor on the headliner on the driver's side that can also cause the issues with temperature working only on cold, or either hot only.

I changed it on my 06 Suburban and that problem was fixed. There's a thread here on that...Edit: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2004-denali-climate-control-is-only-hot-or-cold.146629/

Mine also does the knob thing where clockwise will actually lower the temperature. Mine only does it when cold. Holding the knob down while turning it slowly is kinda my short term fix.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There may also be an updated "calibration" for the control. The firmware version would need to be read by a capable scanner (e.g., Tech 2) and compared to what's available for your VIN (dealer or GM programming site).

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^x2^^^^^ As stated above, you can use a bi-directional scanner to calibrate the movement of the blend door.

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the temperature sensor and it didn't do anything at all. Old one was dusty but it spun well.

The blend doors all work - just don't do what they are commanded to do. It can blow hot on Driver only, but when I shut down and restart the Sub, it goes back to blowing cold air. Note that it doesn't have any in between setting. It's full hot or full cold.

ccpanel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
me too.
opposite-driver side does what i tell it, pass side says do this but only blows how.
pulled bottom blend door actuator off over trans hump on pass side and manually moved door-not sticking, not an issue.
still blows hot while drive is cool.
what am i missing?
another actualtor on top of HVAC unit?

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the temperature sensor and it didn't do anything at all. Old one was dusty but it spun well.

The blend doors all work - just don't do what they are commanded to do. It can blow hot on Driver only, but when I shut down and restart the Sub, it goes back to blowing cold air. Note that it doesn't have any in between setting. It's full hot or full cold.
This calibration may help. This may require the vehicle to be asleep, (not been operated for a while or first use of the day.) Driver in seat, parking brake is not depressed, Drivers door closed. Insert ignition key and rotate to the "ON' position. press button marked "AUTO." Rotate ingition key to "OFF." Driver raise hood and fuse box cover and remove 10 amp fuse labeled, "HVAC ECAS," After one minute, at least, install fuse. enter vehicle and crank engine and let run without intervention, at least 2 minutes. Rotate ignition key to "OFF" position. Restart engine and adjust controls as needed.

If still not working properly, you probably need to have a bi-diretional scanner so you can see which component is not functioning correctly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck