2007 tahoe motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougie1290

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 tahoe that has a bad 5.3l in it. My question is I just bought a wrecked 2013 chevy silverado with a 5.3 in it. Will the engine out of the silverado work in the tahoe? Or wat all will I have to change to make it work? The truck is a flex fuel. Please sum insight would be great
Thank you

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 tahoe that has a bad 5.3l in it. My question is I just bought a wrecked 2013 chevy silverado with a 5.3 in it. Will the engine out of the silverado work in the tahoe? Or wat all will I have to change to make it work? The truck is a flex fuel. Please sum insight would be great
Thank you
Not trying to be an ******* but if you don’t know if the engine out of the pickup will bolt into the tahoe you shouldn’t be asking for insight.
That being said yes it will work, just use everything (meaning accessories, intake, etc etc etc) off the 07 and bolt it to the 13 motor and drop it in.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Thank you
Yes it will work

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does he nned to use vlom or modify original valley cover due to AFM lifters?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I was thinking the same because 07, 08, 09 always triggers my no AFM light. But that’s only with the 6.2L. All the 5.3L had the same AFM motors in 07-14. Yes, both motors are already e85.

It’s going to be like LEGOs. The one thing that peaked my interest is that you also got a free 6 speed overdrive 6L80 transmission (with all needed parts) to to swap with the 4 speed 4L60.

You did good Man! If the Silverado is a higher trim you can add the Navi and have some fun.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the 2013 Silverado NOT have VVT?

@Dougie1290, the engine will swap and bolt up. If your Tahoe is FlexFuel and the Silverado is not, just swap your Tahoe intake manifold to the replacement engine. If your Tahoe is not FlexFuel and the Silverado is, again, keep your original intake manifold. If the Silverado engine has VVT, you could either transfer the cam actuator plug and wiring from the SIlverado to your Tahoe and have it tuned to take advantage of VVT or just leave it disconnected. Although, I'm not sure if the "parked" position is fine for the VVT (if equipped) or if you should install a lockout. You'll retain your intake tube since your Tahoe has the barrel MAF sensor and the Silverado has the "stick" MAF. Maybe @swathdiver can fill us in on the VVT details.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just leave the VVT connector unplugged and the camshaft will remain "parked".

If you are going to delete AFM, then consider deleting the VVT components for added reliability. it does give you a solid MPG on the highway though over your setup though.

So if you wish to keep it, pin your existing ECM for the wiring and tune the motor for it or swap the computer and wiring harness and tune the ECM for it and the VIN.

If your original engine is not FlexFuel (LY5), consider adding the larger fuel pump and using the donor engine's injectors. E85 is like cheap race gas, the engine's love it. If it is around where you live.

OP
OP
D

Dougie1290

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not trying to be an ******* but if you don’t know if the engine out of the pickup will bolt into the tahoe you shouldn’t be asking for insight.
That being said yes it will work, just use everything (meaning accessories, intake, etc etc etc) off the 07 and bolt it to the 13 motor and drop it in.I'm talking wiring and intake and things like that. I know the motor will bolt in. If ur gonna be rude u shouldn't say anything at all just pass on by Thanks

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
.I'm talking wiring and intake and things like that. I know the motor will bolt in. If ur gonna be rude u shouldn't say anything at all just pass on by Thanks

You’re right, sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColonelAngus918