2007 Yukon suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgraydotcom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last week, I had new front shocks installed on my 2007 Yukon Denali. I paid $438 for that, but an error came up that said "service suspension system". Low and behold, they put the wrong ones on. They fit, and function, but do not have the electronic ride adjustment. Therefore, the alarm. The additional cost for the correct ones is around $750. Yes, additional. No labor because of their mistake, and returning the wrong ones for a full refund credit towards the new ones. Grand total just a fuzz under $1200.

My question, can I disable the front sensors to kill the alarm? Is that a bad idea anyway? I am a bells and whistles kinda guy, thats why I bought the thing anyway, and I will not have any alarms showing up, so if my only fix is shelling the extra cash, so be it. But, if its something I will never notice, and there is a simple fix for it, I would rather have the $750 in my pocket.

Thanks in advance to those of you more knowledgeable than I.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
problem is your rear shocks are autoride as well. So its either all or nothing. Can't have front half done without that back and no dash lights going off.

Personally, I'd rather just keep it since you are the bells and whistles type.

Have you checked out ARNOTT replacements? Might be a whole heck of alot cheaper to just buy those and have them install them. $750 seems steep.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
problem is your rear shocks are autoride as well. So its either all or nothing. Can't have front half done without that back and no dash lights going off.

Personally, I'd rather just keep it since you are the bells and whistles type.

Have you checked out ARNOTT replacements? Might be a whole heck of alot cheaper to just buy those and have them install them. $750 seems steep.

X2

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
FWIW, I just had both front electronic shocks on my '09 Denali replaced under warranty. Can't find the invoice at the moment but as I recall the warranty cost on the shocks was just over $300 (318??) each, and keep in mind that warranty cost is usually lower than retail. So I suspect that the parts cost alone is over $700 for the pair. But the labor to replace both shocks was just 1.2 hrs.

So if they want an additional 750 for the parts, they're working with a huge markup. They already made money off you for the incorrect shocks, the least they can do to make up for their error and the fact that you now have to make a second unscheduled trip back to correct their mistake is to sell you the new correct parts at their cost. They screwed it up, inconvenieced you, and still want to make a huge profit? Talk to the service director to make it right.

OK, found the invoice. 5/31/12 so just 6 weeks ago
shocks- $332.79 each
labor- 1.1 hours for $121.74
TOTAL CHARGE FOR BOTH FRONT= $787.32

Oh, and from my invoice it appears the shocks were $206.56 dealer cost. That's a hell of a markup.

So if your stealer wants $1200 to do what I just had done for $787, that's a 52% markup over warranty price, not even taking into account dealer cost. Glad I don't have to deal with your dealer.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Times like this where I am glad I am not a "bells and whistles" guy. Just nuts and bolts.:hands:

OP
OP
C

cgraydotcom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not just shocks tho. Springs, boots, mounts, etc, etc. There is a "service memo", or something like that on the incredibly annoying squeaky undersized rubber thing that goes over the shock rod. I had the dealer do that service on it last year, and it cost $235 to do that, and it didnt last. Imagine the sound of a straw going up a down in a mcdonalds cup, times 10. You can look up the ridiculous fix for that, thank you GM. Dont replace them, just drill a hole in it and fill it with grease. So I hope the repair fixes that as well as the ride. I guess when you pay +50K on a vehicle, expect the repairs to match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474