2008 5.3 Engine Oil/Filter + Octane Rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for responding to this late reply. I appreciate the advice and personal experience. I've been holding off on these engine components while trying to absorb as much information as possible, since I'm a novice in these areas, but it hasn't been for a lack of desire to do the work.
4+ yrs ago I bought a new to me Yukon Denali that was leaking and burning 1-2 oz of oil per 100 miles. First thing I did was the OCC. It was catching a lot. I determined the rear main seal was bad, so I changed it.

While I was at it I found a GM technical Service Bulletin # TSB 10-06-01-008M . My oil burning was cause by stuck piston rings. I did a piston and combustion chamber soak similar to what is described in this TSB,

Some of this TSB applies to your 2008 5.3 LMG.

Here's the TSB link: https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

Here's a link to a thread I did when I changed the rear main seal, etc: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/rear-main-seal-job-pan-etc-07-yukon-denali-6-2.108334/

Here's a link to a thread I did about the valve cover, oil consumption and the TSB: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...tor-oil-consumption-tsb-10-60-10-008m.108493/

OP
OP
CruelJung

CruelJung

Reaction score
That's what forums and sharing of info is for!

Well, that's great! It's certainly been a positive experience so far and, for my first major dive into automotive work, this community has been a gold mine.

I agree that the Moroso is expensive when it performs the same function as those that cost 1/10 the price. But, those cheaper options have been known to have sub-par components, such as carbon steel baffles and/or hardware on the inside that would quickly corrode. You can do some research and find "good" cheap ones. But, if your time is more valuable and you have no problem spending the money, you're guaranteed a quality part with that Moroso and it has a bracket and hoses designed specifically to fit your engine.

Right. I've been mulling a few over since our initial conversation and I don't mind paying for the convenience, peace of mind, and aesthetic appeal (I like the raw metal and bracket design) at this point. I was also intrigued by the J&L and ADDW1 models, but the Moroso can seems to check off the right boxes for me.

That's a considerable amount to burn and it burning more during that 500-mile trip kinda rules out that it's simply leaking out. With your engine having AFM deleted and it still burning that much oil- yes, you definitely need to make some changes. That updated cover and OCC should certainly be your first steps. I'd venture to recommend the upper engine soak just to be on the safe side.

Yes, it was a bit concerning, although having a better understanding of what's more than likely going on and what I can do about had me more comfortable than I was when I started this thread in July--having never performed an oil change and knowing nothing about catch cans or the PCV system issues with these vehicles.

I've already put another 300+ miles on since adding that 1/2 quart and it was still at proper level this morning--only lower by 1/16-1/32 of an inch if even that. I was driving in a hilly region and there was quite a bit of WOT acceleration (for various reasons) happening on the trip that costed an entire quart.

I did some quick research on the engine soak, but I'll have to take some more time and familiarize myself with that process. Replacing the valve cover will be my first major (not cosmetically oriented) project on this vehicle, and I imagine breaching that threshold will begin a new chapter in my automotive competency arc.

Absolutely! We like build/project threads. Even if yours isn't much of a build, it's still a great way to document and share your progress and results.

Thanks! I really don't have any dedicated plans for major modifications, albeit I am definitely open to performance upgrades in the face of stock component failure.

My focus since acquiring it has been to shore up some wear and tear, visual/style issues (subjective, I suppose), and a few slightly more involved repair aspects like the EVAP system and door actuators. Throughout the course of all this, some of my approaches may have been unique or on the rarer side of what others have done, so perhaps I'll be able to add something new if I catch the appropriate topic in circulation or post some 'throw-backs' at some point.

Underpinning those more superficial interests is a long term goal of mine to cultivate the tools, environment, and experience to perform more advanced mechanical repairs and maintenance--or at least to be capable of properly diagnosing issues rather than relying entirely on a mechanic.

Ultimately, this vehicle has been an initiatory milestone for me in becoming a more responsible and capable owner of a vehicle--one which I actually like and want to enjoy for as long as possible.

OP
OP
CruelJung

CruelJung

Reaction score
I will throw my hat in the ring on Wix filters are great. I dont care for Amsoil but thats just me. The synthecis today are so good its hard to go wrong with any major brand. Mobil, Valvloine, Pennzoil etc.

Only brand I dis is Royal Purple and STP
I've only heard good things about Wix, so far, and I can't say Wix is responsible for whatever caused my filter to leak that one time.

The reason I switched to Amsoil (oil and filter) is because of the reviews I had seen and the personal experiences of some people close to me. The reason why I've stuck with it this second OCI, however, is because nothing went wrong the first round and I have dealer who isn't charging me full retail prices--that seemed to be the hangup in any less-than-positive reviews I saw before testing Amsoil product myself: high quality, but expensive.

Considering I'm using product that is rated for 25,000 miles and my current OCI plans are for 4-5k, possibly adding another thousand in every subsequent cycle, I may be overdoing it--not sure about that yet, honestly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CruelJung

CruelJung

Reaction score
4+ yrs ago I bought a new to me Yukon Denali that was leaking and burning 1-2 oz of oil per 100 miles. First thing I did was the OCC. It was catching a lot. I determined the rear main seal was bad, so I changed it.

While I was at it I found a GM technical Service Bulletin # TSB 10-06-01-008M . My oil burning was cause by stuck piston rings. I did a piston and combustion chamber soak similar to what is described in this TSB,

Some of this TSB applies to your 2008 5.3 LMG.

Here's the TSB link: https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

Here's a link to a thread I did when I changed the rear main seal, etc: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/rear-main-seal-job-pan-etc-07-yukon-denali-6-2.108334/

Here's a link to a thread I did about the valve cover, oil consumption and the TSB: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...tor-oil-consumption-tsb-10-60-10-008m.108493/
Thank you!

It's too bad I can't determine which valve cover I have with certainty unless I remove it. I suppose if find that my cover is already updated, then I may very well have to perform this piston soak. In a similar vein, I would be pleased to source the oil leak back to my oil pressure sensor or oil level sensor (as @Plimbob suggested), since those appear to be cheap and easy enough repairs to make.

I saw some other people posting TSBs while hunting around the forum and never took much time figuring out how they were acquired until just now. Is nhtsa.gov/recalls the best way to find these documents or is there another/better way to them?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering I'm using product that is rated for 25,000 miles and my current OCI plans are for 4-5k, possibly adding another thousand in every subsequent cycle, I may be overdoing it--not sure about that yet, honestly.
I've been an Amsoil user/preferred customer since 2009, and I've been doing extended oil change intervals (xOCI) and sending off used oil samples for Laboratory analysis. (UOA). Amsoil is top shelf oil, but 25k is "perfect world" marketing hype. 10K miles is pushing even Amsoils limit in our big SUVs. They're ******* oil. 5k miles OCI is my recommendation. I've been running Fram Ultra oil filters since they first came out without any issues. Top shelf filters. Fram recently came out with another Top Shelf filter line, the Titanium line, only available at Advanced Auto Parts. I installed my first one (#FS10575) on my 6.2L tonight when I was changing the oil and filter.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's great! It's certainly been a positive experience so far and, for my first major dive into automotive work, this community has been a gold mine.

Right. I've been mulling a few over since our initial conversation and I don't mind paying for the convenience, peace of mind, and aesthetic appeal (I like the raw metal and bracket design) at this point. I was also intrigued by the J&L and ADDW1 models, but the Moroso can seems to check off the right boxes for me.

Yes, it was a bit concerning, although having a better understanding of what's more than likely going on and what I can do about had me more comfortable than I was when I started this thread in July--having never performed an oil change and knowing nothing about catch cans or the PCV system issues with these vehicles.

I've already put another 300+ miles on since adding that 1/2 quart and it was still at proper level this morning--only lower by 1/16-1/32 of an inch if even that. I was driving in a hilly region and there was quite a bit of WOT acceleration (for various reasons) happening on the trip that costed an entire quart.

I did some quick research on the engine soak, but I'll have to take some more time and familiarize myself with that process. Replacing the valve cover will be my first major (not cosmetically oriented) project on this vehicle, and I imagine breaching that threshold will begin a new chapter in my automotive competency arc.

Thanks! I really don't have any dedicated plans for major modifications, albeit I am definitely open to performance upgrades in the face of stock component failure.

My focus since acquiring it has been to shore up some wear and tear, visual/style issues (subjective, I suppose), and a few slightly more involved repair aspects like the EVAP system and door actuators. Throughout the course of all this, some of my approaches may have been unique or on the rarer side of what others have done, so perhaps I'll be able to add something new if I catch the appropriate topic in circulation or post some 'throw-backs' at some point.

Underpinning those more superficial interests is a long term goal of mine to cultivate the tools, environment, and experience to perform more advanced mechanical repairs and maintenance--or at least to be capable of properly diagnosing issues rather than relying entirely on a mechanic.

Ultimately, this vehicle has been an initiatory milestone for me in becoming a more responsible and capable owner of a vehicle--one which I actually like and want to enjoy for as long as possible.

You have the right attitude!

These vehicles and your issues are well-documented on these forums, so you're in good hands. You just need a willingness to learn and to understand what other members need to "help them help you". I think you got this.

That engine soak I mentioned is what donjetman posted about. His documentation and results are gold. The earlier you catch and remedy the problem, the better.

Start a project thread either in the Under Construction forum or, if it's just gonna be about your oil consumption journey, maybe in the 2007-2014 Engine and Drivetrain forum. Keeping your project organized to a specific thread will prove very helpful.

OP
OP
CruelJung

CruelJung

Reaction score
I've been an Amsoil user/preferred customer since 2009, and I've been doing extended oil change intervals (xOCI) and sending off used oil samples for Laboratory analysis. (UOA). Amsoil is top shelf oil, but 25k is "perfect world" marketing hype. 10K miles is pushing even Amsoils limit in our big SUVs. They're ******* oil. 5k miles OCI is my recommendation. I've been running Fram Ultra oil filters since they first came out without any issues. Top shelf filters. Fram recently came out with another Top Shelf filter line, the Titanium line, only available at Advanced Auto Parts. I installed my first one (#FS10575) on my 6.2L tonight when I was changing the oil and filter.
Thank you for all the links and information!

It's definitely good to know the experience of someone who uses or has used the same product. I made my first Amsoil purchase from a local dealer (different than my current) and even he told me 4-5k was an ideal OCI, as he was a high mileage Suburban (previous generation) and Avalanche owner, himself.

The latter portion of my reply to @avalonandl was a bit vague, in hindsight, but what I was trying say is that I want to find the sweet spot between engine care and wallet management. I figured Amsoil's 25k claim was unattainable, but it would be great if the 5w30 Signature Series could hold its own for *closer* to a once annual OCI plan (assuming I drive around 7-10k miles per year, which has been my M.O. since owning this vehicle) rather than the three times I've changed it this year alone (once via mechanic, twice DIY).

Otherwise, I wasn't sure if Amsoil is absolutely necessary (if there's a cheaper top shelf option) with such short OCIs, even if I've been pleased with it so far. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I paid about $10-12 per quart for the Amsoil and $17-18 for the filter. I'm sure these prices are not the worst (these are essentially dealer purchase prices), but I have a curiosity about finding the right balance of all factors over time--especially as I clean up and update the engine.

I have my Moroso #85481 OCC and the #12570427 Genuine GM valve cover en route, and I'll be moving onwards to the upper engine process you linked after sorting those items out. I might have some further questions for you when I cross that bridge.

It would be be great to hear about how the Fram Titanium filter works out for you!

OP
OP
CruelJung

CruelJung

Reaction score
You have the right attitude!

These vehicles and your issues are well-documented on these forums, so you're in good hands. You just need a willingness to learn and to understand what other members need to "help them help you". I think you got this.

That engine soak I mentioned is what donjetman posted about. His documentation and results are gold. The earlier you catch and remedy the problem, the better.

Start a project thread either in the Under Construction forum or, if it's just gonna be about your oil consumption journey, maybe in the 2007-2014 Engine and Drivetrain forum. Keeping your project organized to a specific thread will prove very helpful.
That's encouraging, thanks!

My OCC (Moroso #85481) and valve cover (OEM #12570427) are on the way, so that will be the beginning. Once those aspects are finished I'll be moving on to the upper engine investigations.

Thanks for the links! I'll definitely plan for a thread.

Something else I just thought of, mostly because of a comment I read about the hoses in the Moroso kit: if I for any reason have to purchase different/more sturdy hoses, do you have any recommendations?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's encouraging, thanks!

My OCC (Moroso #85481) and valve cover (OEM #12570427) are on the way, so that will be the beginning. Once those aspects are finished I'll be moving on to the upper engine investigations.

Thanks for the links! I'll definitely plan for a thread.

Something else I just thought of, mostly because of a comment I read about the hoses in the Moroso kit: if I for any reason have to purchase different/more sturdy hoses, do you have any recommendations?

All that's necessary is any hose that's fuel vapor or EFI rated, which is very common. It's the submersible in fuel rated that more difficult to find, more expensive and just not needed. There's VERY little pressure in the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick