2009 hybrid tahoe w/ 140k miles....... or 2014 tahoe lt w/ 170k miles... which would you take?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

User_Name

Reaction score
All opinions much appreciated and thank you for reading this! I am in need of a truck until I can fix my other tahoe, which is proving to be difficult.

My dilemma is this: Both the 2014 tahoe LT and the 2009 hybrid tahoe LT run/look good. No rust, frame looks good on both, no engine knocks, suspension all checks out.

Dealership wants $9000 for the 2009 hybrid tahoe with only 140k miles. They want $11,000 for the 2014 with only 170k miles.

Cosmetically and undercarriage-ly, the 2009 wins by far (neither have rust), Mechanically, they're both sound. Neither have CEL, though I did not have my scanner so I didn't scan stored codes.

The only thing that scares me is the "hybrid" part, else I'd be sold on the 2009. Is this something I should be worried about? I am mechanically inclined, but know absolutely nothing when it comes to hybrids, except that the battery prices will put you into a deep depression or coma. If the hybrid battery goes bad, will the truck still run? I will be getting one or the other tomorrow, so yalls opinion is what will sway me! Thanks guys.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the Hybrid. If you do want one, go with a 2011 or 2012.

2010 was a crossover year, so you never knew if you were getting the old or new.

Why not get that Suburban for 7500 that someone recently posted..

***you need to update your profile with your location so we can better help you***

OP
OP
User_Name

User_Name

Reaction score
Ok i hear you. So the 2009 hybrid doesn't have a gauge for the alternator, it has a gauge that says "economy" with a green zone in the middle. It stays in the green unless I goose it. Does this make any difference?

OP
OP
User_Name

User_Name

Reaction score
Stay away from the Hybrid. If you do want one, go with a 2011 or 2012.

2010 was a crossover year, so you never knew if you were getting the old or new.

Why not get that Suburban for 7500 that someone recently posted..

***you need to update your profile with your location so we can better help you***
Thanks for letting me know about my profile info. I am located in Jacksonville, Florida. That link seems to no longer be available.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesnt.. And the Hybrids still had the AFM/DOD problems as all the other years.

If the Hybrid battery dies, the whole truck dies.

They are not to bad in replacing at $2500-3500 thru aftermarket Hybrid Battery Rebuilders. But thats still a chunk of change

OP
OP
User_Name

User_Name

Reaction score
It doesnt.. And the Hybrids still had the AFM/DOD problems as all the other years.

If the Hybrid battery dies, the whole truck dies.

They are not to bad in replacing at $2500-3500 thru aftermarket Hybrid Battery Rebuilders. But thats still a chunk of change check if this battery is going bad or not? Multimeter?

Wow, yes those exact 2. Who is Sherlock Holmes anyways?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travisryan78