2009 Yukon Denali 6.2 L9H Engine Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was supposed to pick up the truck this Friday, and as they were installing the Jasper 6.2 today, a strong gust of wind blew into the shop through the open garage door and literally bent my hood to the point where it won't close. After DumpsterGate last week I didn't think I would have another weather related event damage the vehicle, but here we are! Thomas the service advisor called and gave me the news today that they will be sourcing an OEM hood for me, and I still should be able to pick up the truck next week some time. Attached are some pics from the damage the dumpster did. They are giving me $800 off my final repair bill for the trouble.

I can only laugh at this point. Still looking forward to picking up the truck but I'm definitely hoping NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS TO IT BEFORE I PICK IT UP o_O

Here's the security cam footage of that dumpster rolling into the truck last week. Insurance said they would cover the damage if I paid my deductible but I'll probably just leave it and maybe fix on my own time. This has been such a damn ride. I'm just looking forward to picking this thing up and finally getting to send it!

123_1 (2).jpeg

123_1.JPEG

123_1 (1).JPEG

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been away and just catching up, did you get the torque converter you wanted? I would have had one drop shipped to them.

As for the door handles, interior or exterior? We just did the exterior handles and changed out the stereo speakers since the panels were off. We did the interior handles back in 2018.

I've spent a ton of money on my truck and it isn't going anywhere in my lifetime. Don't fret about that, it's a platform and a platform gets parts replaced and repaired all the time to keep them running. Think of it like a tank or a fighter jet. They have a 30+ service life and lots of components need overhauling during that time, sometimes it's planned, often times it's not planned, like in your case.

You will have to overhaul the transmission someday as well as the differentials, transfer case, air conditioning and seats, etc. To maintain this level of luxury, you can buy a $110K truck and pay out $1500 a month in car payments or do as you did, and for the most part, make repairs and do maintenance on your schedule with an older platform for a fraction of the price.

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been away and just catching up, did you get the torque converter you wanted? I would have had one drop shipped to them.

As for the door handles, interior or exterior? We just did the exterior handles and changed out the stereo speakers since the panels were off. We did the interior handles back in 2018.

I've spent a ton of money on my truck and it isn't going anywhere in my lifetime. Don't fret about that, it's a platform and a platform gets parts replaced and repaired all the time to keep them running. Think of it like a tank or a fighter jet. They have a 30+ service life and lots of components need overhauling during that time, sometimes it's planned, often times it's not planned, like in your case.

You will have to overhaul the transmission someday as well as the differentials, transfer case, air conditioning and seats, etc. To maintain this level of luxury, you can buy a $110K truck and pay out $1500 a month in car payments or do as you did, and for the most part, make repairs and do maintenance on your schedule with an older platform for a fraction of the price.

Trust me, after all the money I’ve put into this land-yacht we’re gonna be keeping her forever! We did get a remanned torque converter thrown in yesterday that LT sourced from a GM dealership before they put the Jasper in. They should have the new motor running today. They will test drive the vehicle before I come and pick it up after they get the new hood put on. I should be able to pick it up Tuesday next week. When I get it back I’ll be changing the front and rear diff fluid, as well as the transfer case fluid.

I know there will be other repairs to make further down the road. For now I’m feeling good that we’ve taken care of some of the big ticket items. Thanks @swathdiver for your help with the referral to LT’s shop, he and the service manager there have been a pleasure to work with through this crazy repair process!

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me, after all the money I’ve put into this land yacht we’re gonna be keeping her forever! We did get a new torque converter thrown in yesterday that LT sourced from a GM dealership before they put the Jasper in. They should have the new motor running today. They will test drive the vehicle before I come and pick it up after they get the new hood put on. I should be able to pick it up Tuesday next week. When I get it back I’ll be changing the front and rear diff fluid, as well as the transfer case fluid as well.

I know there will be other repairs to make further down the road. For now I’m feeling good that we’ve taken care of some of the big ticket items. Thanks @swathdiver for your help with the referral to LT’s shop, he and the service manager there have been a pleasure to work with through this crazy repair process!
My pleasure sir! I learned all about these trucks mostly from the guys on this forum. Keep us posted!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You definitely got the short straw from this dealer. However paint & body work on these trucks is something you really never want to deal with except collision time. You got a free pass to someone else paying for huge panels of paint & prep.

The hood is extremely venerable to clear coat peeling. Have the dealer replace it with an OEM hood and take it as a win. Get receipts as it will increase the value having a dealership do the work. If the roof is peeling clear there’ll never be a cheaper time to have it resprayed to stave off future rust.

Set up an appointment to bring it back to get one of their vehicles as a comparable loaner. That ensures you have leverage over them to get it done right and promptly. The longer they take, the more it costs them to loan their vehicle out. It motivates them to get it done right.

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely got the short straw from this dealer. However paint & body work on these trucks is something you really never want to deal with except collision time. You got a free pass to someone else paying for huge panels of paint & prep.

The hood is extremely venerable to clear coat peeling. Have the dealer replace it with an OEM hood and take it as a win. Get receipts as it will increase the value having a dealership do the work. If the roof is peeling clear there’ll never be a cheaper time to have it resprayed to stave off future rust.

Set up an appointment to bring it back to get one of their vehicles as a comparable loaner. That ensures you have leverage over them to get it done right and promptly. The longer they take, the more it costs them to loan their vehicle out. It motivates them to get it done right.

The engine replacement and suspension work is being done by an independent repair shop. The cosmetic damage happened as a result of weather related events while my car was parked inside and outside the shop. As far as the damage caused by the wind blown dumpster, I’m content with them giving me $800 off my repair bill and having that fixed on my own time. As for the hood, I’m actually glad I’m getting it replaced because it did have some hail dents and the clear coat had some UV damage, so I’d probably have to take care of that at some point down the road. Even though it delayed my picking by a week I think I’m coming out ahead with a free OEM hood.

The roof of the truck is probably the area of the body that needs the most attention later down the road, but I’ll probably have that taken care of next year with a respray. There is no rust but the clear coat has been compromised in a few spots as well as some UV damage and I’d rather have it taken care of sooner than later. Colorado sunshine has taken its toll for sure over the past 15 years.

Update : Hood came in today 7/25 for priming, getting resprayed tomorrow and I’ll be ready for pickup on Thursday 7/27 of this week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today was the day I finally got to pick up my Denali! The hour and a half drive back home was very smooth, with no issues at all. I definitely can tell the difference with the Jasper reman, and I think the transmission shifts much more smoothly with the new torque converter as well. The truck runs much quieter, and I’m not hearing the metallic piston slap that I was hearing under throttle with my original engine.

We don’t know for certain what was making the knocking noise at idle (might have been valve train as some have said), but after getting a glimpse of my old leaky core I’m glad I have a fresh L9H. Might have had something to do with my rear main seal puking oil!

IMG_0953.jpeg

IMG_0954.jpeg

Here’s a list of what we had replaced:
  • Remanufactured Jasper 6.2 L9H
  • Water pump
  • Replaced all belts
  • Radiator hoses
  • Fuel pump
  • NAPA Thermostat / radiator cap
  • Oil / fuel and air filters
  • PCV Valve
  • Distributor cap
  • Plug wires and spark plugs
  • Remanufactured GM Torque converter
  • Transmission cooler lines
  • Transmission filter / fluid change
  • Flex plate bolts
  • Engine mounts
  • Upper and lower ball joints
  • CV axles
  • Rack & pinion assembly
  • New OEM Hood
I’m real happy we were able to get this truck back on the road. It was great to meet LT and talk for a good half hour before I hit the road. Thanks to everyone on this thread who provided guidance and input. I know I’ll be back with more questions because I have a laundry list of other fixes I’ll taking on myself soon!

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

Last edited:

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it back, been following your post from the beginning. What a roller coaster ride. How is the hood they replaced?

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When’s he posting it to YouTube? Glad you are back in the road, sorry for the trouble/costs.

LT is not doing a video on my truck unfortunately but I did get to see a Jeep Wagoneer that they are putting a 6.6 in that will be featured in the next video. Bummer for me but I was just excited to meet him and talk shop for a little bit. He’s had a lot of family stuff going on and he recently lost his mother so that’s why he hasn’t been uploading much lately. I did get to look at the Ugly Truck which was cool, but unfortunately my Denali will not be YouTube famous lol. I’m just happy to have it back. I am taking it back down there for my 500 mile oil change in two weeks. I’m driving it up to the mountains this weekend finally so I’m excited to see how it does for sure!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msheaner

Latest posts