2017 Escalade versus 2016 Tahoe for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RobH

RobH

Reaction score
Yes on the modules. If I had it to do over again, I might have held out for a simpler LS Tahoe instead of getting my 2015 LT.

True confessions, I put over 100,000 miles on a 1995 ex highway patrol 9C1 Caprice I bought in 2000 and sold with 208,000 miles on it nine years later when I retired. Simpler car.

I wish I could have bought a 9C1 Tahoe with fewer geegaws including a useless to me third row seat taking up cargo space. When I bought my LT, my wife was still alive and it needed to pass her inspection. Which I was happy to do.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hence my aversion to fancy cars. Especially when I read about a transmission class action suit, magnetic ride control problems, Que system problems, etc.
And the Escalade Platinum has all of the expensive stuff GM could conceive of to help/improve the driver's experience,
like a dash mounted rotary switch which electronically controls the 4WD transfer case instead of an armstrong manual lever on the transmission tunnel controlled 4WD transfer case like fifty years ago.
Does anyone have any idea how much money one would save,
if you switched every exterior piece of a Tahoe with those of an Escalade,
instead of buying an Escalade?

Now stretch that out over the next ten years of ALSO not having to fix Escalade-specific luxofrippery.

OP
OP
RobH

RobH

Reaction score
Actually, I would prefer to have my SUV towmobile look like a Chevy instead of a Cadillac. I don't like attracting more attention than necessary.

10,130 foot Cochetopa Pass in Colorado.
IMG_1852.JPG

in Idaho
IMG_1886.JPG

I've decided to stay with my 2016 Tahoe with the reman 6L80 and new brake rotors and pads. When I did my pro/con analysis, below, the Tahoe received more green checks than the Escalade. If the Escalade were optioned like the Tahoe, it might have gone the other way.

But, image was two red X's for the Escalade and a green check mark for the Tahoe.

Same with:
Integrated brake controller. Advantage Tahoe.
Wheels/tires: Escalade 22 inch blingers; Tahoe 18 inches painted
4WD on the Escalade; I have a 1995 OBDI 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Sunroof on the Escalade. Two red X's
Power running boards on the Escalade.
93 octane for the Escalade.
Two years and 80K miles remaining warranty on the Tahoe's GM reman 6L80. Crossed fingers on the Escalade's 8L90 with probably the original transmission fluid.

So I gave up the Escalade's bigger engine and two more transmission gears. A couple more gears might be nice, but the 8L90 spacing wasn't much better than the 6L80. The 2018+ ten speed does have better gear spacing than the 6L80. I just wish the 6L80 were a six speed manual.

Thanks for all the input. It really helped me make what I think is the best decision for me. Maybe I'll visit @NickTransmissions at some point. An AFM delete with a new cam and sixteen new lifters in addition to a tune AFM disable would help avoid a possible disrupted trip in Alaska or Canada. Now I need to find a service manual. :)

Attachments

• Analysis.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.73 would make your Tahoe an even better tow rig.
SUVs got 3.42 with NHT, but pickup trucks with NHT got 3.73.
Since you're not buying the Escalade.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you made the right call. The 6.2 requires premium fuel and that goes double when towing. Literally. *IF* you can find premium on the Alcan, it will be $6.00+.

Now, if you said you were going to get a 7500 lb camper, it would be a different story.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, now that I have towed with both vehicles you mentioned and outfitted the same way. I can comment I think with some real world feeling.

The acceleration difference between the two is only noticeable in the hills, flat land its minute till higher RPM functions.

MPG I haul cars on a flat trailer. About 5k combined weight of the vehicle and trailer. Both with Towhaul on.
Esky, 15mpg average in flat to mild hills. Locked in 7th gear.
Tahoe/Suburban 12 mpg in the same conditions on the same roads. Locked in 5th gear.

MRC and air suspension helps out keeping the rear of the vehicle in check, it helps control sway, and keeps the vehicle more planted when towing. Sorry some folks don't like the MRC due to complexity and stiffer ride but this is one area I have found that it helps out. The ride you are looking at has the revised MRC and its programing is so much better than the early MRC.

Trans temps. The Superior reprogram for the thermostat is key. I maintain 150 degrees in all my rigs towing in mid high 80s. Unloaded I see 130-140. This and fluid changes are key for longevity and less issues.

The main issues between the esky and tahoe are mainly function of the CUE screen. I bought mine last december, had to replace the screen and now it works flawless. The 100 dollar screen fix vs the 3k dealer replacement is a no brainer. Youtube helps with understanding the ins and outs of replacement.

The other difference in the towing is the way the 6 speed holds gears vs the 8. I was a die hard 6 speed guy till now. When towing the 8 speed and the 6.2 works so much less to do the same, the gears change so much better also, the 6 would wind out 2 and 3 and hold for a bit where the 8 speed pulls through and shifts almost like normal changes.

Glad you made your decision, I think a Torque converter replacement with a very upgraded Robust converter would be the only thing I would do to your rig if it was me. Good looking ride and rock out man!

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you made the right call. The 6.2 requires premium fuel and that goes double when towing. Literally. *IF* you can find premium on the Alcan, it will be $6.00+.

Now, if you said you were going to get a 7500 lb camper, it would be a different story.

I honestly do not understand why premium fuel is such a dealbreaker for people when you’re buying an expensive vehicle. It usually costs $5-$10 more per fill up depending on how low I let it get. Big deal. A Starbucks costs more than the difference between regular and premium. $10 more to protect your engine from damaging spark knock and to get the power you paid for seems like a no brainer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dela