5.3 engine tick ONLY in Drive/Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bama704

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I all,

I have a 2013 Tahoe LTZ 5.3 with 171k. The issue just started about 100miles ago. When I start the tahoe cold or warm and am in park the engine is quiet, no knock or tick, however once I put it in gear and accelerate it starts to make a ticking noise. The tick follows the rpm. I also only hear the noise on the drivers side. Once I place it back in park and open the hood to inspect it's quiet again. Has anybody ever experienced something similar?

I replaced the oil sensor at the back of the engine this time last year because loss of oil pressure light. I say that just to list things I have done so far to the tahoe. Oil pressure is good at start up and while driving. 25-30 on start up and 40 while cruising.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I all,

I have a 2013 Tahoe LTZ 5.3 with 171k. The issue just started about 100miles ago. When I start the tahoe cold or warm and am in park the engine is quiet, no knock or tick, however once I put it in gear and accelerate it starts to make a ticking noise. The tick follows the rpm. I also only hear the noise on the drivers side. Once I place it back in park and open the hood to inspect it's quiet again. Has anybody ever experienced something similar?

I replaced the oil sensor at the back of the engine this time last year because loss of oil pressure light. I say that just to list things I have done so far to the tahoe. Oil pressure is good at start up and while driving. 25-30 on start up and 40 while cruising.
You're in the 2007-2014 section so you might get better info in the previous gen section. That said, record a video on your phone, upload it to YouTube with public permissions and link it back here. We'll help you figure it out.

OP
OP
Bama704

Bama704

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about the starter would cause that noise? You thinking if I dropped a new starter in the noise would go away. Not holding you to it, just curious.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Exhaust manifold gasket(s) my friend. You’re being steered in the right direction even though you drove to the wrong forum year.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the starter would cause that noise? You thinking if I dropped a new starter in the noise would go away. Not holding you to it, just curious.
It's in my post. The return spring fails and lets the drive gear tink against the flywheel.

Yes. I'm betting it would solve the problem. If you can get a video from the pax side it would help confirm.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exhaust manifold gasket(s) my friend. You’re being steered in the right direction even though you drove to the wrong forum year.
Thought of that but it's too irregular and I had the EXACT same sound on my 2007. It was the starter. Common problem on these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick