6.2 failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snakeboyaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My wife’s 2021 Yukon Denali died as she was pulling into a parking lot last night. Same story that’s been posted several times, everything seems fine then It just shuts off and won’t turn over and the starter just clicks. I put a 3ft breaker bar on the crank bolt this morning and it took all I had to budge it so I’m assuming it a spun main. Question is though it’s at 67,000 miles but it seems like they always fail early on, am I just unlucky enough for it to survive just past warranty?
Anyone had to pay out of pocket for a new engine? Curious what the cost might be.

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My wife’s 2021 Yukon Denali died as she was pulling into a parking lot last night. Same story that’s been posted several times, everything seems fine then It just shuts off and won’t turn over and the starter just clicks. I put a 3ft breaker bar on the crank bolt this morning and it took all I had to budge it so I’m assuming it a spun main. Question is though it’s at 67,000 miles but it seems like they always fail early on, am I just unlucky enough for it to survive just past warranty?
Anyone had to pay out of pocket for a new engine? Curious what the cost might be.
Did you pull the plugs before trying to turn it over by hand? It would take at of force with the plugs in during the compression strokes on a 6.2. Drain the oil and see if you have metal fragments in the oil.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you pull the plugs before trying to turn it over by hand? It would take at of force with the plugs in during the compression strokes on a 6.2. Drain the oil and see if you have metal fragments in the oil.
i can turn mine with a socket wrench, it's not hard at all, pretty much has to be done to change the ac belt

OP
OP
S

Snakeboyaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haven’t pulled the plugs, I changed the idler pulley and belt last year and used the same breaker bar to turn the crank to get the belt on and it was no where near as difficult to turn. I am going to drain the oil tomorrow and see how it looks. Dealer said 10k to replace but Gm might cover some.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t pulled the plugs, I changed the idler pulley and belt last year and used the same breaker bar to turn the crank to get the belt on and it was no where near as difficult to turn. I am going to drain the oil tomorrow and see how it looks. Dealer said 10k to replace but Gm might cover some.
Fingers crossed. Sad that GM is having some failures with the 6.2 - so many apparently that some people were waiting months for replacement engines. It's such a sweet engine in every other way that matters for driving pleasure. I hope you get some help from GM and can get it resolved in a way that's satisfactory for you.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes. This is scary.. what is the time frame/mileage cap on the engine warranty?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM went to the 5yr 60k powertrain warranty on passenger vehicles somewhere around 2015(?) I believe. I was shocked to see the change, but now over time see why. Their cost cutting and CAFE requirements makes stuff less durable, so pass the cost on.......

Fleet sales still have 5yr 100k warranty. But, they are better built in my opinion - less weird gadgets incorporated to squeak out every last mpg for ratings.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM went to the 5yr 60k powertrain warranty on passenger vehicles somewhere around 2015(?) I believe. I was shocked to see the change, but now over time see why. Their cost cutting and CAFE requirements makes stuff less durable, so pass the cost on.......

Fleet sales still have 5yr 100k warranty. But, they are better built in my opinion - less weird gadgets incorporated to squeak out every last mpg for ratings.
The duramax 3.0 has 100k warranty. Guess Cafe and less durability don't apply to it? Or wierd gadgets to squeeze out every last mpg for ratings ?

Also the initial 100k warranty wasn't the norm either. They did that to increase demand. Experiment didn't work. Old gm prior didn't have the long warranty either or the Cafe conspiracy issues you outline.

As for OP bad luck happens with everything. There's a guy with a camry broke down somewhere right now saying 'I thought toyotas don't break down'

Sorry man. Wish you the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Snakeboyaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been playing around with it some more as the dealer can’t get it in anyways. I pulled the starter loose and it still only click once when you try to start it. Battery voltage was down to 6.5 volts per my multimeter after having had the charger on it all night a few days ago, put the charger back on it last night and it showed 12.8v this morning but still only a single click. Motor still seems a lot harder to turn than I remember but the starter is for sure not working.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say, I don't think the required tests have been performed yet to condemn the engine as bad.

The fact that it died and doesn't crank is not enough to say much.

Bearings usually don't go bad all-of-the-sudden; rather, they start failing over time if they receive required lubrication. Unless it was oil starved for an extended period of time, which does not sound to be the case. And you'd likely start hearing knocking or rattling noises.

If you can't get an replacement engine from GM, there's still the option to rebuild yours. Again, not knowing what actually happened to it. Unless a rod broke and put a hole on the block or something along those lines...but that would be obvious.

Keep us posted on what you discover.