95 tahoe heater core ALWAYS hot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zack757

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
whats up guys kinda new here ive been skimmin around the site for awhile but first off i just wanna thank all you guys that have the patience to make some of these write ups they help the do it yourselfers like me alot

i have a 1995 tahoe ls 2 door (NO rear ac) and the other day i had the bottom of my heater box off as i was trying to observe the cold/hot air blend door and i noticed that even though the AC was set all the way to max my heater core is still a blazing hot 158 degrees!!! now im no truck wizard but it doesnt seem to make alot of sense to have something that hot inside of a box of cold air. So i popped the hood and sure enough on the other side of the firewall the hoses to the heater core have a valve on them. my heater core is CONSTANTLY around 150 degrees which leads me to believe that this valve is supposed to shut off the hot coolant only when the AC is on max????? either way this valve doesnt seem to be functioning at all any of you guys know what the problem is??? thanks heres a pic of the valve :mexsmoke:

Attachments

• 2012-08-05 17.54.37.jpg
    2012-08-05 17.54.37.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 16

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That vacuum hose goes to a solenoid that is supposed to be active only when the heat is on. It's possible that is bat but more then likely that piece you have pictured is bad and stuck open.

OP
OP
Z

Zack757

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
turns out its a bad solenoid. for now im bypassing it straight to the valve so it stays closed but thanks for the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruffnready