99 2dr Basic Tahoe, diesel possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K7KY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 99 2dr Tahoe w/gas engine. All in good condition. I'm wondering if this model was also sold with diesel engine? Is it reasonable to swap a GM diesel engine into this Tahoe using all GM parts? Would I need another wiring harness? Thanks for your input.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a forum where some guys were talking about the factory 6.5L that was an option in these. That might be a place to see what others have done. In terms of a direct swap, the 6.5 TD is probably the most straightforward but I’d wager that there are other options with a more custom route.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple different options for diesel. The 6.6 duramax is the best overall winner thou.

You can do the 5.9 cummins.. Lots of work
The babymax is what I would do if I had the shop and know how.. Not been done before
3.9 4BT
And the 5.0 Cummins V8. But to my knowledge it hasnt been done.

The 6.5 was a decent motor... But not good in any way.
The 6.5TD were prone to crank sheering
The 6.5NA were prone to EGR issues
Both were very prone to PMD failure... That is a very expensive fix!

I had a 6.5NA that just would not die. powerful enough for what it was... Always rolled smoke no matter what you did really. I put 90k miles on mine in 1 year, and the only issue I ever had was the EGR. They rely heavily on a vacuum pump that are very prone to failure.

OP
OP
K7KY

K7KY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I would have to pay a shop for the work; best I stick with the gas engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz